I don't think I can fit an insert in here...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, well I guess I need to see what is available "stove" wise that has a rear exhaust or one that can sit directly on the fireplace floor without legs.

I have the no power covered with a portable generator to power the insert/stoves fans if needed.

Any stoves come to mind that have a rear exhaust option?

Many cast iron stoves have the rear exit option. Some soapstone stoves do also. And there is one Buck model 261 that is a steel rear exit stove.

Why does it have to have no legs? Are you concerned about the height? Accurately measure the height from the fireplace floor to the lintel to the nearest 1/8" and let us know that measurement. That will help determine what will fit. FYI, some stoves have short leg kits to help lower the flue exit height.

Etiger makes a good point about firebox size. I too had a smaller firebox size and within a year sold that unit and upgraded. Woodburning is addictive. That being said even smaller units give off a lot more heat than an open fireplace. Standard advice is get the largest firebox size that fits and makes sense in your application. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Many cast iron stoves have the rear exit option. Some soapstone stoves do also. And there is one Buck model 261 that is a steel rear exit stove.

Why does it have to have no legs? Are you concerned about the height? Accurately measure the height from the fireplace floor to the lintel to the nearest 1/8" and let us know that measurement. That will help determine what will fit. FYI, some stoves have short leg kits to help lower the flue exit height.

The opening of the fireplace is 27" high but I do believe it has some room inside above that dimension for the damper.

I would love a soapstone stove but we were looking at spending around $2500 max and that includes a chimney liner with blanket.

Take a look at the Woodstock Keystone, Palladian and Fireview. At their sale price you could stay on budget with a Keystone.

www.woodstove.com

Status
Not open for further replies.