i don't think my stove is responding to the thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nypelletburner

Dec 20, 2011
central ny
I am new to this forum so please for give me if i'm long winded.
I bought a 55-trpah (timberridge same as englander 25-pah)
I also have a 25-pdvc in my unfinished basement that i have had for 6 years with No issues and no thermostat.
my problem is i set the thermostat at 74 temp gets there and keeps going with no change in the stove its like the stove is not responding to it.
i have 2' horozontal out to a 4' verticle rise outside the house with a elbo and 1' horozontal to a end cap. using outside air supply with no restrictions.
lff at 1
lba at 6
stove is set to hi/low
stove burns nice and hot but glass gets dirty real fast 2-3 hours
if i leave the setting on the stove on say 5-5 the house gets 80 quick
is there a way to tell if the thermostat is controling the stove?
burning new england in the basement (junk) and fireside ultra in the 55-trpah upstairs.

nypelletburner said:
I am new to this forum so please for give me if i'm long winded.
I bought a 55-trpah (timberridge same as englander 25-pah)
I also have a 25-pdvc in my unfinished basement that i have had for 6 years with No issues and no thermostat.
my problem is i set the thermostat at 74 temp gets there and keeps going with no change in the stove its like the stove is not responding to it.
i have 2' horozontal out to a 4' verticle rise outside the house with a elbo and 1' horozontal to a end cap. using outside air supply with no restrictions.
lff at 1
lba at 6
stove is set to hi/low
stove burns nice and hot but glass gets dirty real fast 2-3 hours
if i leave the setting on the stove on say 5-5 the house gets 80 quick
is there a way to tell if the thermostat is controling the stove?
burning new england in the basement (junk) and fireside ultra in the 55-trpah upstairs.

What year is the pah and did you remove the jumper on the control board.

Also what mode is the controller set for, on/off or high/low?

ETA: You have the PAH in high/low so if the low setting on the stove can raise the temperature it will continue to rise as the stove is in low and not off provided the jumper is not there.

the manufacture date is 6-09 i bought it 8-11 factory refurbished the jumper is removed and running on high/low

nypelletburner said:
the manufacture date is 6-09 i bought it 8-11 factory refurbished the jumper is removed and running on high/low

First to verify the t-stat is working correctly I would set the stove to on/off mode or use a multimeter set to ohms to test the t-stat disconnected from the stove.

That way you can increase the t-stat setting to verify the t-stat calls for heat and decrease the t-stat setting to verify that it stops calling for heat. If you connect the meter at the end of the wire you attach at the stove you are also checking the wire as well as the t-stat.

If the t-stat passes that test then the issue is at the controller.

But a stove set on high/low can overshoot the t-stat setting if it can still raise the temperature on low.

i was hoping that there was a way to test it with out removing the panel due to instaltion its not easy to remove it from the stove.
im using the honeywell englander sells for the stove. ill have to try it the next time i shut it down.
side question any other people getting clunker from the fireside ultras?
is there any way to get heat out of the new england wood pellets i bought 5 tons before i knew they were crap?

I can't help you with the pellet questions except general things to try and to suggest a different thread and thread title for the topic.

I have never tried the NEWP product and the last time I tried a Fireside Ultra was at the end of 2008 and I wasn't impressed.

You will likely have to experiment with your lba setting, and maybe decrease your lbf as well on the Fireside change one setting at a time and give it time to take effect, you didn't specify the issue with the NEWP.

the fireside ultras have good heat but clunkers and make the glass very dirty fast turned the lba up to 7 now lbf has been set on 1 and no real change on the glass but will have to see if the clunkers get better.
the issue with new englands are there is just no heat from them have a friend with a big "e" and has the same issue they burn clean but dont have the heat im stuck with 5 tons (guess 3 by now) will not be buying them again.

I wish I could help you on the heat issue, perhaps less air might help on the NEWP the big E has its combustion blower running at full tilt and needs tight control of its damper.

One thing I do know is that too much air can cause trouble just like to little, and this applies to extracting heat and in causing clinkers.

Clinkers in particular require a number of conditions to occur for the proper amount of time.

I've had a long term acquaintance with those things.

thanks for the stat help
ill keep tinkering and see what happens
Ill let you know what i find out about my stat i would like to get it working right

i tested the stat and its changing based on the need for heat so its working.
i checked it the way smokey said (thanks)
i changed the stove to the on/off mode.
cleaned the stove
got the house temp down to 72 started the stove set the stat at 73 and started the stove.
waited stove fired up house got to 78 and never shut down about 3 hours.
is there a setting on the panel that can by pass the stat or should i be trying to talk to englander about replacing the board?

nypelletburner said:
i tested the stat and its changing based on the need for heat so its working.
i checked it the way smokey said (thanks)
i changed the stove to the on/off mode.
cleaned the stove
got the house temp down to 72 started the stove set the stat at 73 and started the stove.
waited stove fired up house got to 78 and never shut down about 3 hours.
is there a setting on the panel that can by pass the stat or should i be trying to talk to englander about replacing the board?

Call England explain the situation and what you have done.

If you had put the stove make and model in the thread title chances are that Mike Holton from England would have already seen it.

first , shut the stove down

unplug the stove

plug back in then immediately press the "low fuel fed" AND the "air on temp" butttons together (use 2 fingers) and release

this should put the stove in diagnostic.

with the stat calling for heat in this configuration you should see a dash lit in each of the display windows.

if this is what you see go to the stat and turn it down so it is no longer calling for heat. when you do this the dash on the "blower speed" side should go out.

then turn the stat up again and see if the dash comes back

if this happens the stat and the board are communicating with each other and the stove if in "on/off" should shut down when stat quits calling for heat.

if this does not happen its probably one of the settings on the stat itself ensure the following
1. wires connected to "W" and "G" on the stat bus
2. switch on back of stat set to "electric or heat pump" NOT "gas/oil"
3. fan switch on face of stat to "on"
4. system switch to "heat"

if these steps do not solve your issue give me a call and we'll work through it together to get this taken care of

800-245-6489

Reactions: Love the Heat
thanks mike
i talked to customer service today before i got this message. went through restoring factory settings and i just started the stove back up a few hours ago.
with the holiday coming im hoping its working.
if not i will follow the process you have here and see what happens.
i dont know who it was that i spoke to but they never walked me through the check you have here.
thank you and every one here for your help im sure it will be working correctly in no time.
merry christmas

I've been running NEWP in my stove in the garage,and there only a couple degrees difference from the cubex. Other than a little more ash than the cubex,I've had no problem with the heat. Must be a stove setting thing.

hooter04 said:
I've been running NEWP in my stove in the garage,and there only a couple degrees difference from the cubex. Other than a little more ash than the cubex,I've had no problem with the heat. Must be a stove setting thing.

I received a "free" ton of NEWP with my new P35i and topped it off with another 1/2 ton on the advice of a buddy who loves them in his Harman, BIG mistake for ME! I hate them! My entire stove feels "sticky" inside after burning them. I have been burning Cubex along with a few other hardwoods lately and have more heat, less ash, and NO sticky residue!

I tried the Ultra's last year and was not impressed, not a good pellet for me.

I will be selling my NEWP on Craigs list in the spring!

mike thanks again for the info.
I did the test you have here and it looks like every thing is correct at the control board.
im using it in hi/low mode
one question when the stove goes to "low" mode does the room blower fan also drop or is it only the pellet feed that is changed?

mike thanks again for the info.
I did the test you have here and it looks like every thing is correct at the control board.
im using it in hi/low mode
one question when the stove goes to "low" mode does the room blower fan also drop or is it only the pellet feed that is changed?

only the feed rate side will change in "high/low" the blower will continue to run at the set speed

only the feed rate side will change in "high/low" the blower will continue to run at the set speed

The feed rate displayed on the controller doesn't change either right? If I understand correctly, the only outward indication will be the reduced fire.

correct, the "number" does not physically change as that number is what it is "going back to" the change in fie is the indication.

Just as a point of feedback to your controller people: I would like to see some sort of indication that it's in "tstat idle" mode. Just something simple like having the heat range number or the power led blink would be informative.

Reactions: Screamin Rebel
Status
Not open for further replies.