I finally got neighbors unused wood B4 it rots, ID help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across this in a Google search, this looks like the wood that I'm working with now. Pignut Hickory. But, that kind of Hickory supposedly doesn't grow in this area, we are about 250 miles north of it's northern range. It's some kind if Hickory though.
Well, that bark in your last set of pics, second pic with the hose, is screaming Hickory. I see in the guide that the natural range of Pignut ends at the state line...doesn't mean there couldn't be one up there, though. Now, the range of Bitternut gets up into the state more, closer to you and is also common within its range, like Pignut. With the Pignut, seems like the sapwood rots pretty quickly, like what you're seeing.
Looks like Green Ash has a big range and is pretty common, Black Ash a more northern range and not as common.

I was thinking maybe there could be some Pignut up here too. I can ask some loggers but they'll prolly just say it's plain old Hickory. The forestry department for the county might know. I always like chatting with them when I'm at the courthouse.

I really like burning Black Ash, we have it here, not real common but it's here. It is such a slow grower. I cut up a storm fallen 180 year old BA a few years ago that was only 21" at the base and I've seen 80 year old cuts that were 5" in diameter.

Last edited:
Lol, on that picture with the hose, I looked again I was wandering what the shadow was from... Duh!, its the iPad taking the picture! At least I didn't get my thumb in the picture like I often do. It's hard to get used to the lens in the corner!

Well, I'm nearly done with it. There's a few stragglers that are too long I need to shorten up and split yet but the bulk of it is split and stacked. I calculate I got a little over 3 full cords so not bad for my first scrounge this year. There's more to come for other wood yet after I make more racks and figure out where to put them! Lol. It'll be 3 years until I dig into this wood and it'll be interesting to try it since I've never burned Hickory before. Chow!

Last edited:
It'll be 3 years until I dig into this wood and it'll be interesting to try it since I've never burned Hickory before. Chow!
Yeah...stove chow. >> It burns a long time, and smells great when you go outside. I've got a bunch of Pignut that should be good this winter...three summers dry.

Last edited:
Reactions: WiscWoody
I took a moisture reading on some of the long splits that came from inside the house of the people I got the wood from. I cut them down using my electric chainsaw that I never use just to use it. On a fresh cut I got 10% moisture on the first stab and 9.5 on the second. I might put some of these to the side downstairs to try out this coming fall. :)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.