I FINALLY SOLD IT.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
savageactor7 said:
Well OK...now I know. Thanks for the update Rich.

I'm thinking if I'm still alive in another 10 years about switching over to coal. Our only requirement is a parlor stove with some sort of glass window that we can see the fire with. I know it gets hot enough cause one of my additional duties in the Army was firing those coal babies up.

This guy I know gets a load of coal dumped on an old garage pad...it gets rain on snowed over...he doesn't even cover it, he fills up a 5 gal bucket of coal...and he heats his house for the day. Last time I talked to him he was only paying less than 400 a year. Sure it's not pleasant to look at but it's easier than wood imo...thing is I have to convince the wife she'd like it.
Yo savageactor if you go to coal I'd check out the Baker stoves of York.Penn..Of all the wood/coal stoves I checked out this was the most interesting.I wish They had gotten back to me with the burn time specs for the wood burn.The coal is always a long burn.If they got a overnight burn with the wood I would have gone that way.

BeGreen said:
Rich L said:
BeGreen said:
I'm not following the math here. I can see going to a larger stove or better yet, fixing the leaks and insulating, but the numbers don't add up. Don't get me wrong, the Fireview is a beautiful stove. But how is a 55,000 peak btu, 2 cu ft stove expected to outperform a 97,000btu peak, 3 cu ft. stove? Burn times may be equal or who knows maybe the Fireview is better, but one can only wring so much heat out of a cu ft of wood.
BeGreen I'm still puzzled as to why the Summit didn't perform better in my situation when I've had so called less powerful stoves perform better.I've been living in this house since I was ten and it was my job at twelve to tend the wood stoves,I'm now sixty and happily still tending the stoves.Our first stove was an old coal/wood burner which produced more heat than the Summit though it was much smaller.When the coal stove expired we tried a performer z which didn't perform we then went to an old hearthstone II which did the job of heating the enclosed porch and the second and third floors.When the hearthstone expired I went for the Summit which was a major disappointment even though the stats were very encouraging regarding BTU's,firebox size and burn times.I've used the woodstock classic in my cellar which is more draftier than my enclosed porch and kept the cellar quite toasty a sweat box really which tells me the fireview should do the job on my porch.I also went with the fireview since my wife loves to see the fire.Now I realize that stats are cool but hands on experience is better.

Well, WAF counts for a lot. Something sounds like it was amok. What were the max stovetop temps you were seeing with the Summit?

I remember when the F3CB could not get it up to a decent temperature and thought the stove was a loser. It turned out to be the top was not on square and it was leaking air. After that was fixed it was a whole lot better stove and put out a lot more heat. This sounds similar.
Hi BeGreen,I think I took one reading which registered 675f.You make a good point that posssibly something was amok.I had a brief feeling that maybe I got a lemon though I didn't take it any furthur than that.I remember when reloading and I opened the firebox door it was hotter than hades in there.The problem was I couldn't get the stove to project more than a small portion of that heat into the house.After hassling with that situation all winter I was through with that stove, it was a good riddance for me.

Jerry_NJ said:
Rich, thank for the price update. While I have new Quadrafire Insert, I have and continue to look with interest at the PE line. And, their web site, the one I've found, doesn't give any price information I do see the Fireview runs over $3K with shipping (estimate $200) and taxes, 7% in NJ. So it is a pricey item, but may be worth it. As you can see from my "signature" I have a combined wood/coal stove in my basement. It is a utilitarian only device, a protective enclosure to keep small hands off the hot stove, which is a simple brick lined sheet metal construct, stainless I think. I think I paid unde $400 for it about 15 years ago. It hasn't seen any coal in four of five years, but it did a good job on Pennsylvanian Anthracite when I was in to using it for general heat assist for an air-to-air heat pump. I then installed a geothermal heat pump and have cut way back on wood and no coal at all. There's a lot to like with coal, including buying on certified scales, no getting shorted by the firewood guy who delivers a short cord and bills for a full one.
Hi Jerry,my cost me with shipping $2417.00 and as was stated you have a 6 month return policy if it doesn't work out for you.I don't know who else is offering that condition.It sounds like they have great confidence in their stoves.The stoves come from taxless New Hampshire so I don't know who will be taxing you sincr the stove comes directly form the Woodstock factory to you.Call them for the total cost it may be less than you imagine.

Rich I went to Baker stoves on the net and the 'Heat King' is the only one with a window...I think it would look good in blue. Gonna have the wife take a look at it. If you get a coal stove in the future...get back to us with your experience. Damn...I thinking I could sell my wood....at my terms, and burn coal. Life is good!

It does sound like you need a strong radiant heat stove. Anything being done about the draftiness? We have the technology to fix that problem.

BeGreen said:
It does sound like you need a strong radiant heat stove. Anything being done about the draftiness? We have the technology to fix that problem.

Yes, I`m thinking that he needs to keep the heat coming 24/7 in order to keep the place warm. We aren`t so far removed from that ourselves. house circa (1973 build). and are just starting to slowly tighten things up. expensive to do so though.

Well, if you don't have a direct outside air supply to your stove/insert we need some air leaks.

I'm thinking a new storm door for my back door. My wife likes the old fashioned wooden screen door, it is easy to push open, so it will take some work to get her to go with a storm door, which I'd want to continue to use in the summer with the screen installed/active.

Our house, built in 1984 as an all electric with Andersen (not the top of the line) double pane windows. It is pretty tight, enough so that we open the casement window a "crack" over the electric cloths dryer to keep it from drawing air from wherever..the chimney or worse.

sonnyinbc said:
BeGreen said:

Yes, I`m thinking that he needs to keep the heat coming 24/7 in order to keep the place warm. We aren`t so far removed from that ourselves. house circa (1973 build). and are just starting to slowly tighten things up. expensive to do so though.

Draftiness in a house is often the easiest to fix. And caulk is cheap compared to heat loss. There are lots of products on the market to seal all types of gaps.

Rich L said:
After months of advertising I finally sold the underachieving Pacific Energy Summit.It just could not handle my old drafty house.I've been in this home for fifty years and the only stoves that work for us were the old coal burners and then the soapstones.I'm going back to the soapstone and am awaiting a new Woodstock Fireview,Whew.

Boy Rich I remember talking to you about the Summit a while ago, no blower correct? Sorry you had problems. My house was built in 1952 and is moderately insulated, not the best windows in all rooms but one. Again we the Summit crew take our shots here and there but I still think it pumps more heat than many other stoves. But if it was not for you than it was not for you. :) If you were not getting good heat and long burns I would not want the stove either I guess. Gotta be happy with the stove in my book or the frustration comes in quickly :)

Good luck

Rich,
Keep us updated on this. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I'd also like to hear about comparisons between the Mansfield and Fireview as far as burn times.

savageactor7 said:
Rich I went to Baker stoves on the net and the 'Heat King' is the only one with a window...I think it would look good in blue. Gonna have the wife take a look at it. If you get a coal stove in the future...get back to us with your experience. Damn...I thinking I could sell my wood....at my terms, and burn coal. Life is good!
Hey savageactor7,I had to go back to the Baker stoves' site to remember the Heat King.I forgot it had the glass.Iwas looking at the mini furnace model which specifically said it used wood and coal.The Heat King would look good in blue though it looks good anyway.If I get a coal stove it will be so far in the future I would have forgotten this post.The Heat King has the same weight as the Mini-Furnace it just wasn't stated if it used wood as well as coal otherwise it would have been my first choice because it looked better.So if you go that way let me know how it goes.

BeGreen said:
sonnyinbc said:
BeGreen said:

Draftiness in a house is often the easiest to fix. And caulk is cheap compared to heat loss. There are lots of products on the market to seal all types of gaps.
Hi BeGreen,yes I just finished stripping the inside and otuside walls and putting in stiff board insulation between the studs in preparation for this winter.My biggest problem is my two 4x6 foot sliding glass windows which don't seem to leak however are very cold to the touch.I've no funds to replace them and haven't figured a way a yet to keep them from radiating the cold into the porch through the glass.If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate them.Thanks.

JFK said:
Rich L said:
After months of advertising I finally sold the underachieving Pacific Energy Summit.It just could not handle my old drafty house.I've been in this home for fifty years and the only stoves that work for us were the old coal burners and then the soapstones.I'm going back to the soapstone and am awaiting a new Woodstock Fireview,Whew.

Boy Rich I remember talking to you about the Summit a while ago, no blower correct? Sorry you had problems. My house was built in 1952 and is moderately insulated, not the best windows in all rooms but one. Again we the Summit crew take our shots here and there but I still think it pumps more heat than many other stoves. But if it was not for you than it was not for you. :) If you were not getting good heat and long burns I would not want the stove either I guess. Gotta be happy with the stove in my book or the frustration comes in quickly :) Good Day JFK,previous this forum I've never heard of The Pacific Energy stoves.The rave reviews of the Summit from folks living in colder places than mine made me eager to get my hands on one.I reasoned if it works for those in the north lands it can work for me.When it didn't work for me I was highly frustrated.Now I may never get to experience the Summit in it's true glory as you and many others do.

Good luck

Ahhh yes the experience with a Summit stove and perfect burn is hard to beat, BUT and I mean But, I plan on posting video on how my father in laws Avalon Olympic burns this wsinter. It blows my Summit away and I simply mean the "look" of a secondary burn. The Summit burns longer and pumps more heat than his Avalon but man does that Avalon give a nice secondary burn. I now have an Avalon too so I am going to try try like hell to get his kind of burn. Like the pros say you need to take the time to find her sweet spot.

I am sure you will be fine with your stove and get some kick ass burns ;-)

Cheers!

Todd said:
Rich,
Keep us updated on this. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I'd also like to hear about comparisons between the Mansfield and Fireview as far as burn times.
Hey Todd,I will give an update however I'm not rushing to get to winter.I've still got some wood collecting to do from several homes.Some of these homes I came across on Craig's list and others are from my ad in a local paper to remove "Free Treewood Removal-Good Hardwood Only.It's worked so well I'm up to my ears in wood.It could overwhelm me since I have limited space.
On the other hand the Mansfield is more powerful than the Woodstock Classic which is the same as the Fireview except it has no window.I had the Classic in my cellar and replaced it with the Mansfield.Now the cellar has a negative draft so a door or window has to be opened to get the stoves drafting once drafting the stoves roar like a freight train.Both stoves gave me overnight burns though the Mansfield burned hotter and longer so much so that in the morning I didn't have to open a door or window for the draft to begin.With the Classic I had to crack the door or window to restart the draft since it didn't produce enough heat after the overnight burn to keep my exterior chimney hot enough for there to be an upward draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.