Large stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chris1977

Nov 27, 2022
Ontario
First post and looking for advice. I was finally able to get my first wood stove in my own home. (always had one growing up) so I have the Pacific energy super 27. Nice little stove but after using it for a little over a month I've realized burn time just isnt going to cut it in my bug OLD pos house if we get a bad winter, this yr has been mild. I don't want a catalytic stove. So what could I get that isnt super expensive? I was liking the drolet ht3000 due to the large firebox. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for the long winded post

Long-winded? You haven't seen some of my posts, I guess. 🤣
So did you get a used Super 27, and save some money vs. a new stove? The current model is the Super LE.
Where is the heat loss in your house, air-sealing, insulation, leaky windows or what? What is the room layout? Upping the level of heat retention in your house will pay dividends in winter and summer. Then maybe your current stove could cut it.

Sorry the super le, new stove. Low insulation, old windows you name it. In 5yrs I'm hoping to have enough saved to gut and redo the entire inside so for now I'm trying to get as much out of the stove as apposed to the furnace. The heat output from this stove is fine. It's only a 2cu ft box so I'm just looking for more burn time. The ht 3000 is 3.8 or something like that

Most of my wood is dead ash so it burns up quick. I'm loading the stove full with as many big rounds as possible
What moisture content is your wood at

Big rounds have lots of spaces between them. Make sure to stuff the spaces with smaller pieces.

If you can blow cellulose into the attic, you’ll see immediate payback for cheap.

Moisture content has been 15-20% from everything I have checked. I do fill all the gaps between the wood as much as possible. Insulation will come in time but the main thing is burn time. The stove is just to small

Probably 3hr of good flame then dies off. Lots of coals when I wake up in the morning. 2cubic ft stove is just to small. I'm looking for something over 3

Have you read the following sticky? Likely worth a few minutes of your time.

If you decide to purchase a large Drolet I would recommend the HT2000 over the newer HT3000. The HT3000 is designed to fit US EPA requirements. Nothing you need.

The HT2000 or 3000 have a 3.5 cu ft firebox, but the Drolet Legend/Myriad with their 3.3 cu ft firebox should also be considered. So should the Englander 32-NC. All of these stoves will be about 75% larger than the 2 cu ft Super.

In the short term, sealing up leaks and putting some shrink plastic film over the windows would make a notable improvement.

I think you’ll be very pleased with a big drolet. I went from a smaller Lopi to a Osburn 2300, 3.4 cu ft I believe.
Remarkable difference. Longer burns, less coaling issues, and it makes great small hot fires. No regrets. Really enjoy the size and quality. Wish I had a drolet/osburn dealer close by, looking for another one.

Drolet can be ordered direct from SBI.

Stove Builder International, Inc. Drolet, Osborn, Enerzone...too many brands to name!

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 16-26-46 Woodstove Database Burnwise US EPA.png

That was a search of EPA Burnwise, but included out of production models. You can find a lot of stoves that may fit your needs.
Here's a clip of the 2020 stoves available now, but doesn't show all since you can't scroll down on the clip.
Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 16-30-32 Woodstove Database Burnwise US EPA.png