I had a bad thermometer!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
Previous concerns expressed over somewhat low stove top temps were due to a bad thermometer. I originally bought a Homesaver off eBay (new) while I was installing the stove. It never reported higher than about 525 and I kept thinking I must have wet wood or something. Finally bought a second thermometer (a Rutland) and it said 650 when the other one said 525. I was paranoid the Rutland was running high! But the original eBay vendor sent me a free replacement for the Homesaver and now both thermometers given similar results. Stove has no problem getting to 600-750 depending on the wood I use and air control setting. Probably would go higher but I back it down.

A morning load of locust and sugar maple went to 750 pretty quick and took the chill out of my 61 degree living room.

wahoowad said:
Previous concerns expressed over somewhat low stove top temps were due to a bad thermometer. I originally bought a Homesaver off eBay (new) while I was installing the stove. It never reported higher than about 525 and I kept thinking I must have wet wood or something. Finally bought a second thermometer (a Rutland) and it said 650 when the other one said 525. I was paranoid the Rutland was running high! But the original eBay vendor sent me a free replacement for the Homesaver and now both thermometers given similar results. Stove has no problem getting to 600-750 depending on the wood I use and air control setting. Probably would go higher but I back it down.

A morning load of locust and sugar maple went to 750 pretty quick and took the chill out of my 61 degree living room.

Wahoowad, is this related to the problems you were having with your stove that you posted earlier? Glad to hear you have things working good now.

It is in regard to my perceived low temps, but not the odd burn in the back left corner.

That's great news about your running temps. I have two thermometers now. too. Try not to go over 600 too often - you don't want to get warpage on that steel baffle, I hear it's not a cheap fix.

Really? Is 750 considered an unhealthy temp for this stove? I don't run it there - it drops to 550-650 after backing down the primary air feed - but it could be there for half an hour, especially if a given load is really seasoned and loaded just right.

I have several stove top thermometers, and I have found
discrepencies between both. I am about to replace
them both with flue gas probe thermometers.
It will provide an accurate flue gas temp, within 5%.
Costs about $25, mfr. - Condor
Only accurate way to go.....

Rob

You can read the operating instructions in the manual here: http://www.jotul.us/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 3 CB/Manual_F_3_USA_P03_300904.pdf (paste into your address window)

Their operating range for optimal efficiency is 400 to 600. I have heard that the temp inside the firebox is about twice what is on the stove top. Being that the paint and glass is rated to around 1400F, it may be testing fate if you go over 600F - ya just never know.

The parts prone to failure (warpage and/or breakage) from repeated high temps are the steel baffle, grate and glass. The paint can start powdering. Any part of the stove damaged by overfiring is not covered by warranty, so be careful. The parts aren't cheap, especially at your dealer. He would probably charge you $150+ each for baffle or glass, not including installation.

Highest I've gone is 610F and that was for about 10 minutes. I could smell it was hot. If I turn the air down to it's final setting at 550F and it will settle in at 600F. Normally I do it at 510 and settle in at 550 - 560 and load lasts at lot longer. I'd rather pay a couple dollars my gas heater to take the chill off fast rather than spend several hundred for repairs on my cute little stove. That would defeat the reason I got the stove - to save $$$ and come out ahead of the game before the 5 year warranty is over.

I've been thinking about a flue probe thermometer. Do they have one for double wall stove pipe and how far up do you put it?

Status
Not open for further replies.