I Hate Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cptoneleg said:
Constrictor said:
I love me some oak. i am cutting on 2 huge oaks all this week im expecting about 8 cords from them. it will season 3 years and it will be great as always.

You ain't a kidding big uns, I cut big trees and a 2 cord tree is big, u talking twice as big,, WOW send us a picture good Luck. :bug:
2 loads like this already on a 7x16 trailer, the last pic is whats left of the log im going to finish it up tonite. 42" dia.

Attachments

• 313347_264044280292859_100000618662692_882386_1736372713_n.jpg
    313347_264044280292859_100000618662692_882386_1736372713_n.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 303497_265025696861384_100000618662692_886139_984416002_n.jpg
    303497_265025696861384_100000618662692_886139_984416002_n.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 185
Constrictor said:
cptoneleg said:
Constrictor said:
I love me some oak. i am cutting on 2 huge oaks all this week im expecting about 8 cords from them. it will season 3 years and it will be great as always.

You ain't a kidding big uns, I cut big trees and a 2 cord tree is big, u talking twice as big,, WOW send us a picture good Luck. :bug:
2 loads like this already on a 7x16 trailer, the last pic is whats left of the log im going to finish it up tonite. 42" dia.

That's a lot of wood, but seems shy of 8 cord. Maybe the pics don't do it justice.

thats the first tree, the other one which i havent started on is accross the street. i will have 3 loads off this particular tree after tonite and it likely is 5-6 cords just by itself. the log shown is 42" x 14' long and should be at least 1-1/2 cords by itself.

Constrictor said:
thats the first tree, the other one which i havent started on is accross the street. i will have 3 loads off this particular tree after tonite and it likely is 5-6 cords just by itself. the log shown is 42" x 14' long and should be at least 1-1/2 cords by itself.

Didn't know there was another tree. 8 cord is in the realm of possibilities then.

Backwoods Savage said:
Stegman said:
Agreed. I inherited a bunch of oak when we bought our new house last year. Can't wait to burn it next year and be done with it.

This year I'm going with mostly ash, and I can't wait. Should be a joy. I think I'm going to be primarily an ash man going forward.

Stegman , enjoy the ash while you can. It won't be long before that is all gone. They are dieing fast. Danged Chinese stuff...

Yeah, that's a shame. As far as I know, the ash borer has gotten hung up in eastern New York and supposedly hasn't encroached into New England yet. I hope they figure out a way to stop that evil little pest.

I actually live right on the edge of an area where the asian longhorned beetle is doing some serious damage to maples. They're nasty, too, though I think they've figured out an effective way to control them because they're lazy critters and don't seem to wander too far from the trees they spring from.

Stegman said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Stegman said:
Agreed. I inherited a bunch of oak when we bought our new house last year. Can't wait to burn it next year and be done with it.

This year I'm going with mostly ash, and I can't wait. Should be a joy. I think I'm going to be primarily an ash man going forward.

Stegman , enjoy the ash while you can. It won't be long before that is all gone. They are dieing fast. Danged Chinese stuff...

Yeah, that's a shame. As far as I know, the ash borer has gotten hung up in eastern New York and supposedly hasn't encroached into New England yet. I hope they figure out a way to stop that evil little pest.

I actually live right on the edge of an area where the asian longhorned beetle is doing some serious damage to maples. They're nasty, too, though I think they've figured out an effective way to control them because they're lazy critters and don't seem to wander too far from the trees they spring from.

I remember when they cut down all the trees from the LH beetle, it looked like a tornado went through the city. I thought I read in the paper a month or so ago where they found some more infested trees at Holy Cross.

Stegman said:
As far as I know, the ash borer has gotten hung up in eastern New York and supposedly hasn't encroached into New England yet.

Yet is the key word there. I don't think anything is stopping that train.

Status
Not open for further replies.