I have a brainstorm idea, dont hang me, just questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I love this but i have no idea of specs but is cool

Jeez... just what people need... another remote.

Folks would be better off walking over to their stove and turning their own knob. The CDC reported this year that more than one out of every three (36.5%) of adults in the US are obese.

Greg

Folks would be better off walking over to their stove and turning their own knob. The CDC reported this year that more than one out of every three (36.5%) of adults in the US are obese.

Greg
I have to agree the remote is silly.

Greg

I don't think that just walking to the stove will change the obese situation for some. there is a lot more reasons than just another remote for that.lol .
After all, we all go back home everyday to rest and feel at easy putting behind all the stress of life that we have for the sake of paying bills. For me another remote is welcome.lol
Some company will make a universal remote control that you can control the stove too. All in one remote;)

I don't think that just walking to the stove will change the obese situation for some. there is a lot more reasons than just another remote for that.lol .
After all, we all go back home everyday to rest and feel at easy putting behind all the stress of life that we have for the sake of paying bills. For me another remote is welcome.lol
Some company will make a universal remote control that you can control the stove too. All in one remote;)
They have it it is your phone

Oh and I forgot, I also want the stove with WiFi and Android app to control everything with the phone when I am not there.;lol

Reactions: bholler
Reactions: bholler
I've read a typical technique for starting hand-fired coal stoves is the use of aluminum foil on the inside of the glass (wrapped around the door a bit to keep it in place). This is for a scenario where keeping heat inside the firebox is an utmost priority in the initial stages of starting the fuel. After the coal is burning red the foil is taken off (with stove gloves, of course ;) )

I've read a typical technique for starting hand-fired coal stoves is the use of aluminum foil on the inside of the glass (wrapped around the door a bit to keep it in place). This is for a scenario where keeping heat inside the firebox is an utmost priority in the initial stages of starting the fuel. After the coal is burning red the foil is taken off (with stove gloves, of course ;) )
I have worked on lots of coal stoves and furnaces and restarted them after and i have never heard of or seen anything like that

Folks would be better off walking over to their stove and turning their own knob.

Yes, and when TV remotes came out in the 1960's, people who had TV's without remotes said they were not lazy enough to need/want a remote. People laughed at the idea of a remote for their television.

Now, everyone uses them and wouldn't consider NOT having one.

I'm not fat or lazy but I recall numerous instances of relaxing by the warmth of the fire, after a full day of skiing tens of thousands of vertical feet of deep storm snow and braving freezing winds and blowing snow, muscles finally loosened by a soak in the hot tub, good friends, soft music and a hot beverage snuggled into a warm couch when I realized the fire was blazing and it's time to turn the air down. Simple, eh? Just get up and turn it down, right? Sometimes the brain says "yes" while the body screams "no!".

Oh, if only I had a remote, I wouldn't have thought twice about using it. I certainly wouldn't have been laughing about it. Unless it was the satisfied laugh of a king in his castle as he tamed the fire remotely with the touch of his thumb. :cool:

Reactions: lsucet
I have worked on lots of coal stoves and furnaces and restarted them after and i have never heard of or seen anything like that
Ok so not typical then... just something I read one guy on nepacrossroads.com say he does :)

Ok so not typical then... just something I read one guy on nepacrossroads.com say he does :)
I wasnt saying it was never done just never heard of it and dont see it would do anything

Problem at present with electronics on wood stoves ( maybe the pellet ones also ) and other areas ( cars also) is electronics have a specific temperature working range ( basically the same as tolerable temps for humans) above and below are high fail rates/ improper operation. Then we have the quality of the line voltage ( or lack there of) adding to the difficulties- and to make matters worse most electronics do not have an adequate power supply/ filter system as part of the assembly. Spent a lot of time servicing this stuff in the field -million dollar units not operating correctly because of poor power supply designs, poor locations of controllers or inadequate thermal control of the environment of controller circuits and similar areas of concern. It has gotten better over the years, but has a long way to go.

Problem at present with electronics on wood stoves ( maybe the pellet ones also ) and other areas ( cars also) is electronics have a specific temperature working range ( basically the same as tolerable temps for humans) above and below are high fail rates/ improper operation. Then we have the quality of the line voltage ( or lack there of) adding to the difficulties- and to make matters worse most electronics do not have an adequate power supply/ filter system as part of the assembly. Spent a lot of time servicing this stuff in the field -million dollar units not operating correctly because of poor power supply designs, poor locations of controllers or inadequate thermal control of the environment of controller circuits and similar areas of concern. It has gotten better over the years, but has a long way to go.

When I agreed with you, at the same time i dont think we are that far away and i really think it can be done. lets just look at our diesel trucks. During regeneration the exhaust components can reach up to 1400df . there are modules/computer for sensors that are attached to those catalysts and the modules are bolted to the frame of vehicle sometimes 4-6" away and we have no issue at all. All what i am saying is it can be done in stove. 1400 df
in a stove is over firing it.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Poor power line protection of electronics would be my concern. During the summer in the second year of owning a pellet stove we had a power spike. Nothing in the house was damaged or seemed to be affected so we just chalked it up to rural power. Come fall I went to turn on the pellet stove and it was a no-op. The control board had been fried during that power spike. I have seen similar events locally since then with some mini-splits. Core electronics should be protected against these transient events, but often are not.

I have years ago the same problem with my surround sound subwoofer. it is built in amplifier and one day during spike it did sound loud and went off.lol It was under warranty at that time and i took it in to get it fix. they told me that i need a surge protector. I told them i have one just for the speakers. they told me, you need a better one. i said ok and went to the website on my phone and showed him the one i have. I told him, i know always there is room for improvement but do i need a better one? i think he got it. they fixed it and everything is ok since. This is happening in all kind of electronics now a days