I have enough pellets for this season but wonder if I should get a ton at Lowes...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
At the end of this season I am sure I will have left over from the 4 tons I got, burned around 15 bags so far.
With the $196/ton at lowes for stove chow brand I wonder if I should take the plunge and get a ton and put it into the shed. I would have to carry them in small portions 'cause i cannot bring the whole ton in one shot, if i take the mini van then maybe 2 trips?

Last year for this time of the year the prices were much higher. Anyways, don't really need more pellets but wonder how prices will be in Spring if they're this low now in Nov., even though i know they won't stay this low for much more.

Can anyone guess Spring prices?

Very tempting isn't it! :)

I do not think spring buy will be much different than this season. Maybe a tick higher. But it's hard to really say as the stacks are really high at the pellet dealers.........? I did(as you know) and plan on burning in the shoulders to save the goodies for the cold. As of right now. My next season haul will only be 1.5 tons. It sure feels like a game of roulette! We will know the prices come spring! hehe

All I know its been several years since the days of pellets at $176/ton. Brain said no, but the pig in me said heck yeah! :) :cheese: ;-P

Edit: Maybe posting another picture of the ton in my pellet hauler would help you decide??

I saw that pic....hehe

I know i tested 2 bags of the stove chow but did it back to back with somersets and maybe freedom fuel and don't remember how the stove chow really performed in my stove, one of them gave me more ash than needed, will get another bag tomorrow to try again.

Freedom Fuel did have less ash overall. But Lowes didn't have them. They had Clean Energy, Natures Own and Pres to logs besides the Stove Chow. I wasn't going to waste fuel traveling for them, But I would have liked Green team or Somerset a bit better.

how's the clean energy and Nature's Own? Never tried them before.

Clean Energy had decent heat but pretty dirty and Nature’s Own was very very close to the Stove Chow as there both Energex pellets in different bags.

geek, all pellet pigs are supposed to at least try a few bags just to see if they make your list. If they pass inspection then you buy some and add to your stash. This works until you run out of money, room, or the real boss in the house chains you up so you can't get to anyplace that sells pellets. I've been shackled to a tree in the yard with a chain just long enough to do the chores.

Lol. Geeks been on this forum since Feb 2008 so no pig in training there
he's a full fledged pot bellied sow boy in my book. ;-)

But to stay OT, the price is good but those pellets ain't nothing great imo
so wouldn't make me run out and buy em but ymmv.

now you guys are making me laugh today.....

Geek, was just saying this same thing to Jay.....Lowes in Rochester had Greene Teams at 209. If they still have GT and have not gone up over the weekend, I am looking for a cushion. Just to be sure.

Oh and I cannot pass up a good deal, even if I have enough. Just bough a freezer because I bought a whole pig. Now I have plenty o room for whatever I find. After trying fresh pork, fresh beef (hamburg only so far) and fresh eggs, dont think I can buy store stuff any more. I know I cannot buy a store egg again !!!! Told my farmer buddy, next time you have a side of beef avail, let me know !!!! Little off topic, but the pellet pig in me carries over. :)

I don't think many pellet pigs could pass on $176/ton. Even if there only shoulder pellets(but there not!). The Stove Chow proved to be much more than that. Just not quite full blown cold season though! Once I finish testing I got some O Malley crap to finish till the low 30º's head in. Then I'll stuff in some chow till the low teens come, I will gladly burn the goodies! Then its reverse till spring comes. I should be able to save at least a ton of the Hamers or Cubies for next season. So I call them extenders! :) Plus I got to uphold the multifueler status too! Burn what I can afford!

gbreda said:
..... I know I cannot buy a store egg again !!!!

Hehe, them fresh eggs will get ya every time.

I have 19 well fed laying hens out in the yard. Should have between 15 and 19 fresh eggs tomorrow.

For lunch we finished up a big pot of chicken soup from part of one of the eight that went to freezer camp a couple of weeks ago.

The only problems with the fresh eggs is that even using salt in the water you have a very hard time peeling hard boiled eggs even after more than two weeks in the refrigerator. Makes making pickled eggs a bit difficult. I did three batches using two recipes last week. Will do some more in a month or so.

We haven't purchased a store bought egg in 14 months, bread, jam, or pickles in over three years.

SmokeyTheBear said:
gbreda said:
..... I know I cannot buy a store egg again !!!!

Hehe, them fresh eggs will get ya every time.

I have 19 well fed laying hens out in the yard. Should have between 15 and 19 fresh eggs tomorrow.

We haven't purchased a store bought egg in 14 months, bread, jam, or pickles in over three years.

I know what you 2 are saying! We have 2 pet Araucana chickens that are about 4 years old and before them we had Chickey. She was a pet chick we hatched, hand raised and lived to over ten! There green egg layers or Easter cickens as there called! Picture of the egg included. The fresh eggs are so much tastier than the blan no flavor store bought eggs. No pale yellow yokers for us either

But how the heck did we get from pellets to chickens to eggs. Off track heck I would say totally derailed!

Attachments

• Araucanas eggs.jpg
    Araucanas eggs.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 303
So which came first..... The Pellet or the Stove??

sry had too ;-P

The chicken came first, it arrived via US express mail and was followed several months later by the egg.

j-takeman said:
But how the heck did we get from pellets to chickens to eggs. Off track heck I would say totally derailed!

Yes, I agree....time for the "Egg Express" to head off onto another rail.....I think it's called the "General advice" forum.... :roll:

My guess is spring price will be about the same as now maybe a touch lower. It all depends on how many pellet plants fold. Lots of competition right now and the lumber mills are still in the dumps so material can be pricey keeping pellets up.

Status
Not open for further replies.