I hope it does not fall over...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archer39

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2009
Pottstown PA
or i am going to have a lot of stacking to do. My 150 ft. stack has an area that is leaning pretty bad. Anyone have any suggestion to keep it upright for the summer? i have since pounded the wood back with the sledge hammer and it does not look that scary but i really don't want it to fall!

Next winter i will be adding some structure in between to add stability and also so if a section decides to fall it does not take out the entire thing. Its amazing how much it shifts and shrinks while it drys. Most of the stack has lost 6" of height in about 7 months.

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

There are times when I go down the wood pile with a split and hammer on the individual pieces to straighten things out. I do it especially on the ends, beat stuff back in where it belongs. It is amazing how much the stuff moves while it dries out. I think you're stack looks like it'll survive without falling over.

Use a longer handled splitting axe to hold it up. Kinda like what you did on the far end of the pile.

Matt

If there are ever kids near that pile, I'd pull it over and restack.

Archer what type of wood is that?

zap

CarbonNeutral said:

Agreed. My stacks never become more stable after they start to lean. Sometimes you can save it by knocking it back like you did. Or even put another row in front of it to keep it up. I've also driven in T posts in front of a stack which help a little bit.

Matt

Well, I stack on pallets also (40x48 in size). I stack waith 2 'down' and 1 'up' on either end that way my 'runs' are roughly 8' long & very stable. If I want a longer run, just add 2 more 'down' and one more 'up' - again, very sturdy (and lots of grandkids running around w/no worries). Shari

Archer39 said:
or i am going to have a lot of stacking to do. My 150 ft. stack has an area that is leaning pretty bad. Anyone have any suggestion to keep it upright for the summer? i have since pounded the wood back with the sledge hammer and it does not look that scary but i really don't want it to fall!

Next winter i will be adding some structure in between to add stability and also so if a section decides to fall it does not take out the entire thing. Its amazing how much it shifts and shrinks while it drys. Most of the stack has lost 6" of height in about 7 months.
Yes, it is going to fall over. I have a lot of stacks just like that! What I do is put my back and shoulders against it and push it back into place, somewhat. I do this every time I walk past a stack that looks like it's leaning a little too much. After the first year of being stacked, it quits settling and moving so much and then I normally don't have to worry about it again.

T-posts sounds like a good idea. I've hammered back the splits & saved piles before. I've also rocked the stack back & hammered in wedge-shaped pieces near the bottom where the lean begins to level it out. I should probably just concentrate on improving my stacking ability :red: but I do pile 6-7.5' high with lots of odd-shaped pieces, sometimes in the dark, wearing one boot... ;-P

After a year or so my single row stacks start to lean. I put my shoulder or foot into them to straighten then back up.

EatenByLimestone said:
Use a longer handled splitting axe to hold it up. Kinda like what you did on the far end of the pile.

Matt

that was just leaning against the pile. it was not there for support reasons.

zapny said:
Archer what type of wood is that?

zap

there is a mix of soft and hard maple, ash, black walnut, black gum, white oak and a little sassafras.

CarbonNeutral said:

no kids around, just two dogs but they seldom lay around the wood pile.

quads said:
Archer39 said:

Yes, it is going to fall over. I have a lot of stacks just like that! What I do is put my back and shoulders against it and push it back into place, somewhat. I do this every time I walk past a stack that looks like it's leaning a little too much. After the first year of being stacked, it quits settling and moving so much and then I normally don't have to worry about it again.

i will have to give that a shot but i will need a step ladder the push the top of the stack. Its 5.5ft high and i am only 5'4".

CarbonNeutral said:

Better yet...
Pull it over and make the kids restack it

Status
Not open for further replies.