I Joined the 30-NC Cult.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I added the convection deck and huge blower
I wish Englander would make an add on convection deck a true option, I added one to my bk princess and noticed a huge improvement with the using the blower, it was literally a night and day difference.

I love mine so far and I'm starting to get the hang of it. 23' chimney and it drafts like crazy. Once I learned that 700 - 750 degrees is ok, it's been much better. Saw the secondary tubes and baffles glowing red. Was throwing heat like crazy!

Ready to transition from my poplar stash to red oak.
No doubt your burning smoke when those tubes glow. Probably not a wisp of smoke escaping the chimney top.

Reactions: Highbeam
I wish Englander would make an add on convection deck a true option, I added one to my bk princess and noticed a huge improvement with the using the blower, it was literally a night and day difference.
I would think one could be fabricated, or possibly another manufacturers modified to fit.

Reactions: Highbeam
Can we get the shirt where the stoves are on the pedestal base instead of the legs?

I made that pic back in 2006 when I was catching unending grief here. I was the first one on the forum to buy a 30-NC and the Pacific Energy fan boys were pounding on me for it. It was good fun bantering with them.

And it has been good to not have to deal with a cracked stove.

Reactions: SlyFerret
I made that pic back in 2006 when I was catching unending grief here. I was the first one on the forum to buy a 30-NC and the Pacific Energy fan boys were pounding on me for it. It was good fun bantering with them.

And it has been good to not have to deal with a cracked stove.

I think I remember that! Forget about the cracked stove, if you had invested the difference in price between the nc30 and a summit 11 years ago ( thousands!) I wonder how much beer you could buy with the proceeds.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Enough Natty Light to fill two bedrooms!
firebox.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good hiding place!

Too bad they discontinued that gold trim, that was sharp and the one thing i coveted on that stove over my Drolet Austral. Im inclined to think that was a bad decision.

Too bad they discontinued that gold trim, that was sharp and the one thing i coveted on that stove over my Drolet Austral. Im inclined to think that was a bad decision.
I think many wood stoves could do with some accessories and decorative trim . The 30 does come off as a little drab ,sort of like a new truck with no chrome or trim.

Today is the day for the switchover..... Hoping I actually have all the pipe and elbows right in my inventory.

The steps today are to give the chimney as quick brush down to make certain I am starting clean as possible as it's much easier to manage a cleaning on the Chimney with the existing stove as it is a non epa stove so no baffle/secondary tubes to remove while brushing the chimney.

Then it's the cleaning out the stove and then disconnecting the double wall.

It was equal parts frustrating and exciting when I had to flip the switch on our electric furnace last night to make certain the "old stove" could cool down enough that I can get it cleaned up and disconnected this morning.

I had hoped for a warm enough stretch that I could manage the switchover without turning on the furnace.

With winter settling in here we are experiencing some snow and temperatures in the minus 7-14 Celsius.

Once I get through the process I will get at the small fires to cure off the paint and start the learning curve on the new beast.

It will be interesting to see how many burns it takes before the paint odour ceases to surface.

Reactions: Heftiger
First fire! Up and running!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Install completed, weathered the initial paint cure with windows open and fans going.

Now into first full load and secondaries rolling the way I am guessing that they are supposed too?

Definitely not the "Lazy flame" I read about but I am not rushing to do the partial block off on the secondary air.

We do have a very good draft with our chimney set up and it is showing itself right away.

Now the learning curve begins for me and the other stove operators in the household.

In hindsight I should have gone to this stove years ago.

Today though, I will celebrate rather than looking back with a calculator as they amount of wasted wood and electrocity paid for would be depressing.

Thank you to Hearth.com for continuing to be a community where solid fuel heat is not something to be afraid of or vilified.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 187
One more..... I can't get enough of this...... The secondaries are incredible. No smoke coming out the chimney and tons of heat.

Now to start tweaking how we move the heat around the house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: saydinli
Looks great! Time to update the signature line and replace the old Jasper with the 30NC.

Reactions: lowroadacres
Looks like its working exactly as designed.

Looks great! Time to update the signature line and replace the old Jasper with the 30NC.

Good call! There were a few other things needed to be updated as well.

Wow - first time I have ever been part of a cult before. Although now that I think of it I did once own a Minox camera; does that count?

I do have an excellent draft (30 plus feet) which undoubtedly is a factor, but the NC 30 is the easiest stove to run of any I have worked with these past 40 years. Like any EPA rated stove it likes dry wood, but the NC 30 is more tolerant of less-than-perfect wood than any other EPA stove I have seen.

Not to be a nitpicker, but, the stove model designation is 30-NC. I am changed the title for future searchability.

That's alright.... Technically mine is a Timber Ridge branded stove picked up at Canadian Tire. I just know this...... I am sweating in my house while it is well below freezing outside

Reactions: begreen