I Know I Am A Wood Burner When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
The heat factor outside is 103 and I am moving wood from the stacks to the shed.

Moving wood is on the list for the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Have fun. It is gonna be even hotter and more humid this weekend.
Cousin Kubota is going to help. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: BrotherBart
'Tis the season to admire firewood stacks, and not do much else. I was returning from a trip yesterday and briefly toyed with the idea of trying to sneak onto a flight to Anchorage. For those of you who cut wood for a living and can't take a break--you have my deepest respect (and sympathy).

Reactions: D8Chumley
Going on a trip for a week. When I get back I have to split a cut up 80 foot oak the tree service took down. No matter how hot it will be, it has to be done.

I was out splitting and moving wood today also, down here in the heat and humidity of South Carolina. But I am working on getting my first stacks done and I am way behind already for this year....and maybe for next year, sigh.

It is hard just starting out. Can't wait till I can get a year or three ahead.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I was out splitting and moving wood today also, down here in the heat and humidity of South Carolina. But I am working on getting my first stacks done and I am way behind already for this year....and maybe for next year, sigh.

It is hard just starting out. Can't wait till I can get a year or three ahead.

Good luck. I am just a little over 2 years ahead, working on years 3 and 4. Be patient. Take your time. Before you know you will be there.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I broke down today and put the ac in the window, 1st time in god knows how many years. Heat index above 100 - sucks.

bob

Reactions: baseroom
I'm in central Illinois, we've had multiple days of over 100::F with index over that. I'm a welder in a non AC building. I sweat enough at work, I hate to go home and continue it. Lol but things need done at home too.

I know I'm a wood burner when...
I'm driving around noticing all the dead trees standing without a leaf 1 on them, thinking I could take that down for them.

Yup. I split and stacked some wood the other day. It was in the 80s but like a million percent humidity. My shirt looked like I was shot with a hose. But it was black locust and I had fun doing it.

You know you're a stover when:

You look to see if those shrinkwrapped bundles of firewood
at the C-stores n' gas stations are $4.99 or $5.99 and shake the head
or have a private giggle.

Makes me wanna get a shrinkwrapper. Sell at 3 bucks wholesale,
Store does 100% standard markup at $5.99, but mine are slightly
larger for the same price so I sell more and store owner gets more
peeps thru his doors since they are getting a "deal" on campfire wood.

With impending rotator surgery in the next week or three, splitting is at a frenzied pace as I have no splitter.
Ready first winter already. My stack is now at 5 feet high and just over 80 feet long 12" to 26" length of splits
and 2-4" rounds. I was truly blessed to get a white oak as a gift from auntie who paid the guy to section the
entire tree no longer than 2' chunks. Yesterday hit the motherlode!!! The power company dropped and
short-sectioned 6-8 trees along a 1 acre length by the road last May. Most were deads and a threat to the
power lines and are already seasoned. I finally caught the property owner at home and asked humbly about
the wood along their frontage to warm my family and noticed it hadn't moved since being cut down.
On my third pickup load now doing up next year's stack!! As soon as the lady said she had no problem
with me getting the "mess" off of her land the splitting party is back on !!
This is the best I've seen or split as of yet. Straight, not fiberous, it just breaks apart with a snap.
No knots on 90% of them. 18 inchers from 1-2 ft diameter. Three oak, two ash, and a pine at the least,
and she gave us enough for the next two years minimum. It's really awesome getting this far ahead
my first summer as a stover. Yes, indeed the sweat has been stinging my eyes this past insanely hot
and humid week. It's always weird pouring water down my gut and sweating it out so fast there's no
trips to the bathroom. Stay hydrated, gang, and keep up on the prep,

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeap

All these 90 and 100 degree temps make me glad that it was only 35 where i was doing my woodsplitting,,, oh wait, you are talking fahrenheit......
By choosing different spots in my yard I can find some shade and a bit of breeze cools the sweat while my JD does the work...

The heat factor outside is 103 and I am moving wood from the stacks to the shed.

Here the heat index today was 107* and I cut split and stacked for several hours.
It looked like I jumped in the pool with my clothes on.
My motto is "you gotta split when its hot so you can stay hot when its cold".
Get'r done!

I'm waiting for the leaves to drop off the trees before I start dropping trees for 2 yrs out. I have my prey marked with black spray paint.

I still think you guys are bonkers. Summer is for fun...not work. :)

I love working hard in the cold. Flakes flying...chainsaw buzzing. Love it.

Out for an hour this afternoon clearing a downed spruce off trail and was soaking wet with sweat almost immediately and could hardly breathe. Was overbearing for the northeast. Went back In and took shower and have been lazily laying on the couch with the AC blowing cool since then.

I must be honest and say it was completely dibilitating, and absolutely exhausting.
I eventually was defeated and surrendered to the pool.

I normally do my cutting/splitting and stacking in April and May. This year it rained seemingly constantly so I will try again when it cools off in September. Between hurricanes.

Reactions: Dix
I thought I was maybe crazy or something since that's what I've been doing lately in the 100+ degree armpit of the south (pronounced "Columbia"). I've been splitting and stacking now cord 4+ which means I am 4 years out probably. So glad I don't burn 4-6 cords a year like you northerners. I'm just a part time and weekender myself. And it's South Carolina so low burn needs comparatively just based on location. Although I might try to stretch my legs some this year and burn more now that I've got seasoned wood.

Hey chap, let me know how that bk works for you. I'm in Lexington area so probably bought my Jotul the same place you got your BK. I'm thinking to go catalytic on my next (if there's a next- which wife will let me know after this season ;)).

Glad to know it's not just me working on wood in the heat. ;em

Last edited: