I Know I Am A Wood Burner When...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I hardly scrounge roadside wood, but I do pull loaded trucks over and have them come to my house and unload for free rather than pay to dump it

IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hardly scrounge roadside wood, but I do pull loaded trucks over and have them come to my house and unload for free rather than pay to dump it

View attachment 182990

View attachment 182991

You must live in an area where not a lot of people burn wood ? A load like that around where I live ( northern mid west) you wouldn't have to pay to unload. Easy sell.

I'm a wood burner cause the weather man says the lows this weekend may get down to high 40s, low 50s so I'm gonna get the stove going and I have a stack of 2 year old poplar and birch ready to go in the garage for an early shoulder season burn ! I'm saving my oak for minus 25 degree January !

when you walk around the neighborhood and see wood stacks that never seem to move, and think about knocking on doors to see if they want to get rid of the wood.

or when you walk around the neighborhood and notice wood piled in rounds, with no chimney visible and you wonder what they are doing with it.

. . . you pull off the side of the road to pick up a few pieces of wood - in your Sunday clothes.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
You might be a wood burner if your wife leaves you a message saying you can go "malling" after work, and the office manager says to you, " I thought you hated shopping..."

When someone sees your woodpile for the first time and says Holy $&@t!

That one really hit me crazy funny.

Started burning last feb so there was wasn't much of a stack 'cept staying a few weeks ahead.

My row is 5ft high x 90ft long, top is level but on a downslope. Other end of the row is almost 8 ft high
and now blocks viewing the parts tractor n' bicycles, and my scrap pile. With the wood stacked most
nicely and no more redneck appearance visitors really were shocked. I love it. Ready until roughly Christmas-2018.
Good campfires too after storing totes of kindle there was plenty left, skinnies, bark chunks, unplittable knots, etc.
It's been a great summer, and I've learned much more here at the site.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

You know you're a wood burner when every time a new guest comes to your house a conversation about firewood inevitably is one of the first things to come up.

Reactions: Jeffm1 and Dix
you know you're a hardcore woodburner/scrounger

...when you give ticks to your dog

Stihl needs to come out with a version of Frontline for wood cutters, or maybe a forest helmet with an integral flea collar.

...When you refuse to accept that two stroke exhaust is not a draw to the opposite sex. Repeatedly.

when you are driving around in a rental car in a heavily wooded area, jealous of all the giant stacks of wood people have, and wonder how much you can fit in the rental car... or on the plane back with you.

Reactions: ajazz
Real wood burners don't even count half pickup truck loads. :p