I know, it's way too pretty for storing wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Niro

Burning Hunk
Jul 13, 2021
Northern Westchester NY
I recently finish building my wood shed, I might have gotten carried away with paint and looks an all. It took longer than I thought but it was just me and I'm proud of it.

20210917_173850.jpg 20210917_173712.jpg

Nice! I like the roof, especially if some sun gets through.

Why did you close the back (and the floor)? I kept my back open so that if I don't finish a bay that year, I can fill it up and next year start with the older stuff in the back. (And I kept spaces between the floor boards for more ventilation, but maybe you have more wind going through than I have.)

1.5 cord bays?

Nice! I like the roof, especially if some sun gets through.

Why did you close the back (and the floor)? I kept my back open so that if I don't finish a bay that year, I can fill it up and next year start with the older stuff in the back. (And I kept spaces between the floor boards for more ventilation, but maybe you have more wind going through than I have.)

They look like 1x8’s with a gap in between on the floor, definitely plenty of air flowing through that bad boy. Looks great, way too pretty to store wood. Might have to leave 1 bay open for drinking beers and watching the wood dry.

Nice job. Looking good, how much can fit in there?

Reactions: clancey
They look like 1x8’s with a gap in between on the floor, definitely plenty of air flowing through that bad boy. Looks great, way too pretty to store wood. Might have to leave 1 bay open for drinking beers and watching the wood dry.
There were plenty of beers had while building it! I filled one bay and half of the other yesterday in a full day work detail.

Just can wait for a dip below 50 around here to start burning.

It took longer than I thought but it was just me
Yah,that says a lot right there. If wood storage was the issue, then some tin roofing 2x4s and nails would do. Bet the view from the kitchen window is satisfying.

I filled it up yesterday....man that was alot of work. Total dimensions are 8 x 12. 100sq ft is the town limit with out permit and increase in property taxes.

is it possible (without added taxes) to build a second one of 96 sqft...? It is really nice to be able to season hardwoods 3 years. Having another one allows you to cycle through one bay a year and have 3-4 years of seasoning. The less water you'll have to boil off in your stove the more heat in your home and less creosote in your chimney.

is it possible (without added taxes) to build a second one of 96 sqft...? It is really nice to be able to season hardwoods 3 years. Having another one allows you to cycle through one bay a year and have 3-4 years of seasoning. The less water you'll have to boil off in your stove the more heat in your home and less creosote in your chimney.
Yes, I'm in Northern Westchester and the code is under 100sq ft per structure. I was thinking of attempting a fully enclosed shed next year but for gardening equipment storage. If I out grow this space for wood, I might consider another. Thanks.

I will be building one soon too as big as I can without a permit. Did you pour concrete for the corners? trying to get ideas but my yard is pure ledge in the back.

Sandy here, but I used concrete deck blocks on 18"*18" concrete pavers. So far it holds well.

I will be building one soon too as big as I can without a permit. Did you pour concrete for the corners? trying to get ideas but my yard is pure ledge in the back.
I didnt pour the post. I got 2 yards of gravel and placed 4 " on the area then used tuff blocks on top to hold the 4x4 vertical and it hold 2x6 horizontally. So far it's holding up.

I didnt pour the post. I got 2 yards of gravel and placed 4 " on the area then used tuff blocks on top to hold the 4x4 vertical and it hold 2x6 horizontally. So far it's holding up.
That is really nice one of best I've seen, lacking one major component, WOOD! Let's see it when filled, that should be a sight.

honestly, it looks like a dollhouse.
better paint it red or black or brown.

or shoot some holes in it.
Or fill it with White Oak. The grays will complement each other. ;)