I love my new saw!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

legrandice

Burning Hunk
Oct 5, 2006
South Hadley, MA
Today my father, wife and I headed out to scrounge some wood at a friends house. An 85 year old elm had been cut down a few years ago and the wood was up for grabs. This was not a high btu wood load, but it was free and a good day to be outside. The husqvarna 345xp was amazing! I have the 18 in bar and just about made it cuting around these big rounds. Heading back tomorow for a bit more and to bring my tractor home.

68ce94603e0fc192679476c095448b47.jpg

be28e5517410d203f9db549c92aa46e2.jpg348876b3b7aa9dfcb5e05909010f6b36.jpg
4bb5c99bba9e138ca6dfc027555957dc.jpg

Nice! Need better pictures of the saw ;lol!

Nice saw.:)
Kudos on the ear protection and the CHAPS!!:cool:

I've always liked burning elm . . . it may not be up there with oak and sugar maple, but it's a good wood . . . mostly it gets a bad rap from folks splitting it by hand.

Elm is not bad at all in my opinoion. A little under rated by many if you ask me. I also got to play with a new saw this weekend, 562xp!:)

I can only imagine how awesome the 562xp must be! I am very impressed with mine..and it's much smaller. One of these days perhaps for me....

I didn't realize these chainsaws cost so much _g
The saw is not so bad..it's the tractor to lift rounds, trailer to haul them, splitter...etc that add up! I have been splitting and stacking as long as I can remember and really enjoy it. That makes it all worth while.

Reactions: Mag Craft
I've always liked burning elm . . . it may not be up there with oak and sugar maple, but it's a good wood . . . mostly it gets a bad rap from folks splitting it by hand.

I agree, hand splitting elm is tough. This will give the splitter a workout for sure.

final load today. all of these rounds were cut with an 18"bar. I just about made it with some!
fd647a2c624ab08d02f9dacd0871a07a.jpg

The husqvarna 345xp was amazing! I

/scratching head/

Do you mean the 345? Or the 346XP? Those are two very different saws.

The 345 is a homeowner grade 40cc saw. It's a great little saw - I picked one up from Lowes at a steal of a price in a damaged box a couple of years ago. I've been very impressed with it. For a small saw, it's amazing what it will do. It's my backup, light duty saw.

The 346XP is a discontinued professional grade 50 cc saw. That's a proper general purpose firewood saw.

While the 435 is impressive,and I know Husqvarna says you can run 18", you are asking too much of a 40 cc saw to run it with 18" and as a main firewood saw. It just doesn't have the beef to handle that for long. Yes, you can do it, but you'll burn it up long before it's normal useful life. It's a light duty, trimming saw, not a firewood saw. It's like hauling a big loaded trailer with an F-150 and a little V6 engine. Yeah, you can get down the road, but you won't get much life out of it. It's just not up to the task for very long. People do it, and then complain about how the thing falls apart in a few years.

Because of the less-than-ethical practices of some of the lesser saw manufacturers (Poulan, I'm looking at you) using longer bar length as a marketing ploy to suck in the ignorant, even Husq is getting into the bar length arms race. It's not a good thing.

You really shouldn't go over 16" on a 40 cc saw, or 18 on a 50cc. That USED to be Husky's recommendation, but they are more interested in markets share than quality these days, to keep Wall Street happy. They are still good, but they are sliding. They are not run by the dedicated saw people like they used to be.

/scratching head/

The 345 is a homeowner grade 40cc saw. It's a great little saw - I picked one up from Lowes at a steal of a price in a damaged box a couple of years ago. I've been very impressed with it. For a small saw, it's amazing what it will do. It's my backup, light duty saw.

The 346XP is a discontinued professional grade 50 cc saw. That's a proper general purpose firewood saw.

While the 435 is impressive,and I know Husqvarna says you can run 18", you are asking too much of a 40 cc saw to run it with 18" and as a main firewood saw. It just doesn't have the beef to handle that for long. Yes, you can do it, but you'll burn it up long before it's normal useful life. It's a light duty, trimming saw, not a firewood saw. It's like hauling a big loaded trailer with an F-150 and a little V6 engine. Yeah, you can get down the road, but you won't get much life out of it. It's just not up to the task for very long. People do it, and then complain about how the thing falls apart in a few years.

Because of the less-than-ethical practices of some of the lesser saw manufacturers (Poulan, I'm looking at you) using longer bar length as a marketing ploy to suck in the ignorant, even Husq is getting into the bar length arms race. It's not a good thing.

You really shouldn't go over 16" on a 40 cc saw, or 18 on a 50cc. That USED to be Husky's recommendation, but they are more interested in markets share than quality these days, to keep Wall Street happy. They are still good, but they are sliding. They are not run by the dedicated saw people like they used to be.

SORRY! I don't know the saw I have in my hands..... I have a 545. Not a 435 or 346. The 545 has no problem with the 18" bar.

Today my father, wife and I headed out to scrounge some wood at a friends house. An 85 year old elm had been cut down a few years ago and the wood was up for grabs. This was not a high btu wood load, but it was free and a good day to be outside. The husqvarna 345xp was amazing! I have the 18 in bar and just about made it cuting around these big rounds. Heading back tomorow for a bit more and to bring my tractor home.

View attachment 168262

View attachment 168263View attachment 168264
View attachment 168265
Nice score!

tractor lifting a round onto trailer b942860466832ad00119e7ee213d8e77.jpg

Nice score, nice saw and tractor too. Fwiw I've been running a Husky 136 with 16" bar (swapped out by dealer for stock 14" bar) for many years now. I have friends with some serious work saws when i need them, and this is my camp / trim saw, but I've worked that little saw hard and it's never let me down. Big saw on my wish list for a while now, based on this unit I have no hesitation to invest in another Husqvarna. Probably going to have to steal a tractor though.....;lol

/scratching head/

Well since Poulan is owned by Husqvarna and they call the shots you can blame that on them. That is why Poulan no longer makes a Pro saw.

Loving the tractor assisted loading!

To anyone out there running a 346xp I'm running a 16 inch sugihara bar and that little guy screams! That small drop from an 18 to 16 made a huge difference. I highly reccomend it

Status
Not open for further replies.