I love people who hate wood stoves!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
At least I love them when they're selling their stove for cheap.......lol.

Well, I've been patiently looking on CL and other places for a good deal on a Jotul Oslo or Castine with a preference for the Oslo. The looks, specs, clearances, efficiency, reputation, etc all added up to exactly what we wanted. These stoves are pretty popular and thus hard to find used, and, when you can find them used they're usually at least $1,000-$1,200......

So my patience paid off yesterday when I found a fabulous used Oslo (F-500) right here in our own back yard! The sellers had just moved into a new-to-them house, and the first thing she said was, "get that smelly wood stove out of here!" So, I got the stove (which is really in mint condition--it looks like it hasn't been used much at all.......) and 12' of Selkirk 8" pipe. She's a green enamel beauty!! I'm actually embarrassed to admit how little we paid for it--it was an incredible deal.....!

Fired it up last night, wow! Every stove has it's little tricks and we'll have to learn the best way to light and control the fire, but so far we are LOVING this stove!!! Got a good long burn last night and the secondaries kicked in and put on a great show.....then lots of hot coals to re-start this morning!

So, the moral to the story is that if you're patient (and lucky!), you CAN find some really great stoves for a really great price......

NP

Congrats!! Come on, tell us how little you paid, so we can continue to eat our hearts out!

Nonprophet said:
So, the moral to the story is that if you're patient (and lucky!), you CAN find some really great stoves for a really great price......

Completely agree!

Yeah . . . go ahead and tell us about the fantastic price . . . but more importantly let's see a picture of this beauty.

And yes . . . a lot of folks who grew up with bad drafting smoke dragons sometimes see a woodstove when they move into a home and are convinced it will leave their house all smoked up . . . or conversely they stubbornly refuse to listen to their spouse when he/she wants to buy a woodstove for their home.

A good deal for you!!!

I keep hoping to find my Blaze King this way. My patience is thin, but so is my money. As long as the old earth stove keeps cranking out heat, I will keep watching and waiting.

Glad you got your dream stove at a great price.

Another person who wants to know what you paid, too. And offer my congratulations on such a nice score!

I recall seeing a shot of a living room on a decorating forum that had a beautiful Hearthstone stove in it. And someone immediately posted and told the owner to get rid of it and get a "new EPA rated stove to replace that old polluting one". I nearly blew my coffee on the screen, but did suggest that before they "got rid" of it, they might want to check out the site I linked for their education... . The new owner had no idea what a treasure the previous owner of their home had decided to leave behind because they didn't know anything about soapstone or woodstoves. They were tickled and decided to keep it. I wonder if they read this forum, too?

It's a shame so many people operate with misinformation and preconceived notions about what a woodstove is. But it makes for some really cherry deals for the rest of us! Lucky you.

I love good deals...I have found all my best deals when I was just waiting for one to come rather than being in a rush and not caring how much I paid.

I too love when people cant stand wood stoves or older cars and you can walk away with very little out of pocket!

Is there a 'BiTodd'?

Well there is a "todd" on here already, so logically. . .

But mine is in reference to triathlon. But I guess I should really give up that persona. I dont race anymore and if you threw me in a lake I would likely drown. But that is not too different than how well I swam while racing.

TriTodd said:
Well there is a "todd" on here already, so logically. . .

But mine is in reference to triathlon. But I guess I should really give up that persona. I dont race anymore and if you threw me in a lake I would likely drown. But that is not too different than how well I swam while racing.

So, what your saying is, you never had to worry about where the podium was? :)

And does the contestant say....
"Alex, I'll take Heating with Wood for $800"
"And the answer is...Land of high quality stoves for dirt cheap"
"Geeez, Alex, duh..What is Oregon?"

Todd said:
I think he's pulling our leg! Where's the proof? :p

Ok, ok, I know. "No pics=didn't happen!" lol.

So, here's two pics............didn't really get a chance to clean her up and make her look pretty, but I still think she's gorgeous!! lol

NP

Attachments

• Jotul-f500-(4-of-5)web.jpg
    Jotul-f500-(4-of-5)web.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 785
  • Jotul-f500-(3-of-5)web.jpg
    Jotul-f500-(3-of-5)web.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 751
tickbitty said:
Congrats!! Come on, tell us how little you paid, so we can continue to eat our hearts out!

So, the stove is a 2003 model (stated by the former owner and confirmed via the serial #) and it came with the rear heat shield, firebox screen, and four 3' sections of 8" Selkirk double-wall pipe. It really doesn't look like its had very much use--the firebox is very clean, the enamel is nearly perfect, glass is not etched, and the burn tubes are straight as an arrow. We paid $300 for everything, and we're very, very happy to have found this great deal. Gotta love Craigslist........!!!

N

TriTodd said:
I got my lopi answer off of CL for $150. Basically new.

t

Wow! that's a GREAT deal! That's a $1,500 stove new.........

NP

Great looking stove and great deal. If you are patient there are some great deals to be had on CL. I got my regency and hearth pad form CL for the sum of $250. :cheese:

Attachments

• Picture 208.jpg
    Picture 208.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 656
Wow! $300 is a steal! Good looking stove, you may want to move that nylon wood carrier a little further away before it melts.

golfandwoodnut said:
curious what section did you find it under CL. Appliances, farm?

I'm pretty sure it was listed under "General" but it might have been "Household" too, I can't remember and the seller has since taken the post down--I would imagine he had a lot of inquiries.......

If you go the the main CL page for your town there's a "Search Craigslist" bar, I just typed in "Jotul" and the Oslo we bought came back in the search results. As I said, we've been looking for awhile, there had been some other really good deals but they get snapped up pretty quickly so you really have to be on top of it.

NP

Nonprophet said:
Todd said:

So, here's two pics............didn't really get a chance to clean her up and make her look pretty, but I still think she's gorgeous!! lol

NP

Holy s**t, you're in a Yurt, aren't you!

Nonprophet said:
Todd said:

Nice deal. That is a great score. But wait, is this installed in a yurt? That's pretty cool too. What were you using for heat before that?

BrowningBAR said:
Nonprophet said:
Todd said:

NP

Holy s**T, you're in a Yurt, aren't you!

LOL, yep, we're in a Yurt! Buying it was one of the best things I've ever done, we just love it! Oh, BTW, we bought it used on CL too........lol!

NP

Nonprophet said:
TriTodd said:
I got my lopi answer off of CL for $150. Basically new.

t

Wow! that's a GREAT deal! That's a $1,500 stove new.........

NP

Hmm, closer to $2200 retail new on the left coast. A very good deal indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.