I love people who hate wood stoves!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonprophet said:
BrowningBAR said:
Nonprophet said:
Todd said:
I think he's pulling our leg! Where's the proof? :p

Ok, ok, I know. "No pics=didn't happen!" lol.

So, here's two pics............didn't really get a chance to clean her up and make her look pretty, but I still think she's gorgeous!! lol

NP

Holy s**T, you're in a Yurt, aren't you!

LOL, yep, we're in a Yurt! Buying it was one of the best things I've ever done, we just love it! Oh, BTW, we bought it used on CL too........lol!

NP

What's your wall height and diameter?

Nonprophet said:
BrowningBAR said:
Nonprophet said:
Todd said:

So, here's two pics............didn't really get a chance to clean her up and make her look pretty, but I still think she's gorgeous!! lol

NP

LOL, yep, we're in a Yurt! Buying it was one of the best things I've ever done, we just love it! Oh, BTW, we bought it used on CL too........lol!

NP

Having recently set up a yurt stove I'm curious about how you set up the flue. What did you work out for the thimble and how much stack is on the stove outside? How is the exterior pipe supported? The F500 is designed for 6" round. Have you had issues with smoke spillage when loading? More pics please.

BeGreen said:
Nonprophet said:
Todd said:

Nice deal. That is a great score. But wait, is this installed in a yurt? That's pretty cool too. What were you using for heat before that?

We started out with a North Country smoke dragon that we got from CL. It put out a lot of heat (too much, actually!), but went through wood like crazy! Then we got a used Sweet Home Stove Works smoke dragon--it was better on wood but still inefficient. Then we got a nice deal on a VC Defiant/Encore 2550. It was a good heater and a gorgeous stove (midnight blue enamel with the drying racks and all) but I think that the VC cat stoves are very finicky to operate and keep from over-firing, and, the cost of parts (especially the refractory box and combustor) really start to add up, we felt like we'd be spending <u>at least</u> $500 every 4-5 years to keep the 2550 running well......We sold that and got an Earth Stove 1400T which was one of the first wood stoves to utilize the secondary burn tubes. It was a good burner, pretty efficient and certainly easy to maintain and operate, but the firebox was fairly small (so we rarely got an overnight burn) and while steel stoves are super easy to use and maintain, they're also pretty plain looking (IMHO) and I really like the heat retention and looks of the cast iron stoves........

So, now we've got the Oslo and so far I'm very, very impressed! I let the fire go out about 2pm and it's now 8pm and still 67 degrees in the yurt and 43 degrees outside........

NP

BrowningBAR said:

NP[/quote]

What's your wall height and diameter?[/quote]

We're in a 30' Pacific Yurt with the tall wall kit, I can't remember for sure but I think that makes the walls 6'8" tall.

NP

Our friend's yurt is a Pacific too. They're nicely made.

BeGreen said:
Having recently set up a yurt stove I'm curious about how you set up the flue. What did you work out for the thimble and how much stack is on the stove outside? How is the exterior pipe supported? The F500 is designed for 6" round. Have you had issues with smoke spillage when loading? More pics please.

Well, what we've done is certainly not the "proper" way, but it's worked for us!

From the stove top we have a 6"-8" adapter (we acquired some 8" stainless steel Selkirk double wall for cheap, so we've stuck with the 8" pipe for all of our stoves) there's a 40" vertical run of 8" single wall into an 8" single wall 90 degree elbow into a 48" horizontal piece of the SS metalbestos Selkirk that passes through the wall (I cut an "X" out of the lattice wall that gives me an opening that allows for 5" clearance on all sides of the double wall pipe) and I made a "thimble" for the inside and outside out of 1/4" backer-board and sealed around the 8" pipe with high-temp silicone. The backer-board is painted green on the outside to match the green vinyl cover, and tan on the inside to match the wall insulation kit fabric.

The 36" horizontal piece goes into an 8" single wall "T" with a clean out plug on the bottom. Then the main stack is 14' of 8" single wall pipe attached to a 14' 4x4 pressure-treated post that is mounted into a metal bracket with a 2' spike that is driven into the ground. I cut 6"x4' strips of the backer-board and attached those to the face of the 4x4 where the stove pipe meets the 4x4 so as to keep the hot stove pipe from scorching the 4x4. I then have three eyes screwed into the top of the 4x4 and I use guy wire attached to wooden stakes driven 2' into the ground in a tripod configuration to provide additional support for the 4x4 and stack. On the very top is a china hat with 3/8"x3/8" hardware cloth inside as a spark arrestor.

We've been using this set-up for 4 years now and it's worked very well. Have gone through many winter storms and the stack and support have held up just fine. If we were using the much more heavy metalbestos pipe for the outside stack, we'd have to re-design the support to handle all of that weight.

We've never had a problem with draft and/or back-puffing, even when using the top load feature of the Defiant-Encore or now with the new Oslo loading from either the front or the side door. I'm cognizant of the fact that the single wall pipe outside is more prone to creosote build-up, and I check it at the "T" once a month or so and clean as necessary. We rarely get anything more than 1/8" or so of the light brown crumbly stuff, though I do make sure to burn nice and hot for 30 mins or so every time we burn to keep the pipe clean.......

Anyway, that's our set-up! If you'd like pics, I can take some tomorrow or the next day weather permitting.

NP

WES999 said:
Great looking stove and great deal. If you are patient there are some great deals to be had on CL. I got my regency and hearth pad form CL for the sum of $250. :cheese:

That's also a great deal! I swear, used wood stove pricing is all over the map, I'll see 20 year old smoke dragons for $600 and 3-4 year old EPA stoves for $300......I guess people just don't know what they're worth.

NP

Status
Not open for further replies.