I may have to burn all night tonight.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

English BoB

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2014
Brunswick NY
Snow / sleet / ice. Low of 26 degrees with a real feel of 17::F

Nice in here now 74 degrees with a stove full of uglies. Have not been to the woodshed yet.

Stay warm friends:ZZZ

bob

Last edited:
Snow / sleet / ice. Low of 26 degrees with a real feel of 17::F

Nice in here now - 70 degrees with a stove full of uglies. Have not been to the woodshed yet.

Stay warm friends:ZZZ

bob

Finally some weather to justify my new furnace. Looks like a nasty drive in tomorrow.

Finally some weather to justify my new furnace. Looks like a nasty drive in tomorrow.

Slow and steady. Just had new rubber fitted all round hope it helps.

bob

I've been waiting weeks to light up. I finally have a nice fire going downstairs, main house is up to 68, and I've got a few very happy cats. I don't have to go to work until tomorrow afternoon, so the storm is well timed for me.

I used to get the itch to burn so bad. been so warm here lately, but i take as it comes. been getting ahead on my wood.

Tonight is the first night this year that I've really cranked up the stove for sustained heat. Up until this point I've burned the stove for a 6-8 hours to take the chill off and then let it go out. We've had colder nights than tonight but today was the first it truly felt like a winter day. It didn't get above 25 and it's hovered around that since Noon.

I consider January the half way point of our 8 month heating season and my stacks look very full.

The temps by me finally took a nose dive on Sunday evening, I swear by 2pm it was damp and raw outside, I loaded the stove up and decorated the couch, Yesterday was the third time all season that I did a full load of oak. When I got home from work I it was 30deg out and damp, 74 inside, I threw a small load in, then did a large load at 8pm for the overnight. Right after that load went in the sleet / snow (sneet?) started. This morning at 5am there was about an inch of ice everywhere, and a nice warm house. Love that wood heat !

And burned all night I did, loaded the stove at 9.00pm and this am it was a small bed of coals - enough to restart if I needed to. House was comfortable at 64 as I set out to fight the ice. Doing the same tonight - just because I can.:cool:

We heat two houses, burning about 9-10 cord/year. Got a OWB hooked up to one house two weeks ago and have been burning odds and ends from cleaning up some pulpwood and sawlogs in it. Still not halfway thru the first of three woodsheds on New Years Eve. Must be global warming....as we are normally into the second shed by now.

It's 17 degrees out, 7:30 pm, daytime temps have been running 20 degrees below average here. Thermometer in the kitchen says 80 degrees. I shouldn't have put that big of a split of cottonwood in. Might have to open the kitchen door up for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: LocustPocust
This is the day every year that I do the mid-season chimney sweeping for 30 years. This year tonight is the first night that I have started a fire in the stove. And just loaded it for the night.:confused:

We've had the insert going for 24 hours now. That makes like 6 days total burn time for the entire season, unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.