I need a chimney build up check from all the seasoned bk owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ohiowoodstove

Dec 20, 2021
Ohio
Hey all! Been burning pretty frequently (almost non stop minus a few weeks) since late October with my second hand bk princess. Curiosity got the best of me and I climbed up on the roof to see how the chimney pipe is looking. I am attaching some photos of what kind of shape it’s in. How does it look to you? Is this a don’t worry about it and keep rolling or is this a hey bud you’re doing something wrong. I cleaned the cap while I was up there and although dirty (admittedly also from my last stove) it all seemed to flake off pretty easy with no tar build up. I did hit it with a sweep before I installed the bk but I thought it would be a little cleaner. I do burn at full bore every reload for 20-30 mins and my wood has been seasoned for 3 years. If anything maybe the cat is ready for a change. Thanks in advance for the input!

76533BA9-9F0C-4DE8-B26B-194E9987CDDC.jpeg 831A3447-F333-4712-B472-C4A53BD30A3B.jpeg

Looks pretty fine and powdery I wouldn’t be overly worried. With that said frequent sweeps never hurt. As far as cat goes (barring structural damage or evidence of needing replaced on inspection) if it’s taking longer to get to temp or becoming inactive faster etc it may be time to replace

powdery, less blackish more greyish - looks good to me.
I'd somewhat extent the run until next check (if your next wood is as good as what you burned so far).

powdery, less blackish more greyish - looks good to me.
I'd somewhat extent the run until next check (if your next wood is as good as what you burned so far).
appreciate the reassurance! I tend to worry about these things, and have no problem with periodic check ups.

maybe i'll see if i can keep my current cat installed for a little longer. Still getting 12+ hour burns very very easily, it may not run on low as efficiently as it could, but I think it may still have some life left in it.

Reactions: MMH and stoveliker
I think the chimney accumulation looks fine. One possibility would be to install the new combustor when it arrives, but keep the old in the shipping box from thee new for a few weeks while you decide what to do.

Looks fine. The white light of modern flashlights can make even balck powder look grey. Was it actually more black?

Many resources give a thickness of creosote spec before sweeping. Like 1/4". We here know that it's not just quantity but quality that can be important so anything wet looking or gooey is bad and that's not what I see in those pics.

On replacing the cat... it's pretty obvious when a cat is dead. There is a great deal of life in the "good enough" range. From what you're telling us and showing us your cat is still working so I'd run it. Do buy a second for a spare. You are now dependent on a consumable part for your heat source and with supply issues being what they are it is wise to stock your next replacement.

Best price I've found is the midwest hearth ceramic cat.

Thanks all, I will keep the new for a spare, looks pretty ashy and not black. Looks a little blacker toward the cap though. I’ll sweep it and keep rolling. I did actually pick up the Midwest hearth ceramic. Good reviews.