Rob711 Posted By Rob711, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM

1. Rob711

Rob711
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    I had a Milwaukee 18 volt. Was a drill and a impact driver. Turn out when you leave them out in the rain things happen.

Probably going with same thing but the newest version. Brushless. Whatever that does for me.

I’m a homeowner who builds stuff. I also like that Milwaukee doesn’t, or haven’t changed there batteries. Meaning they work on a lot of tools.
    Looking for suggestions.

AlbergSteve likes this.
  2. greg13

greg13
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    CNY
    I have some Milwaukee, Makita, Ryobi and Dewalt cordless. I think that for a homeowner Ryobi has the best bang for the buck.The batteries have not changed (other than Ni Cad to Lithium) and the amount of Tools that are available are unbelievable.

I think Ridgid has the best Guarantee of any of them, LIFETIME on the tool AND batteries.

Many manufacturers are going brushless. it will give you more power, longer battery life and no brushes to wear out.

There are still a lot of sales going from black friday on tool bundles Ryobi & Ridgid had great prices on 5 piece sets.Milwaukee had some specials going too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    semipro likes this.
  3. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    when i was looking i would have went ridgid but had no were local to buy and was in a bit of a hurry.. Cant beat that warranty and i think the battery are covered as well if memory serves me right

4. greg13

greg13
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    CNY
    Yes, both tool & battery are covered, but you have to register them online. In the US, Home depot has a lock on local sales not sure about Canadian sales.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. semipro

semipro
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2009
    Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I've had DeWalt and Makita and they're great but as Greg said, its hard to beat the Ryobi stuff they're selling at HD.
    I actually like my Ryobi impact driver better than than my DeWalt though it is heavier.
    You can't beat Ryobi battery prices. I've found its hit and miss with their tools - some are great, some not so much.
    I did not like their first circular and recip saws much. Some of their other stuff is top notch (or at least great for the money): flashlights, lanterns, their new circular saw, drills, nail drivers, etc.
    Batteries, it seems, are the key. DeWalt ticked me off when they changed theirs so I stopped buying them.

6. festerw

festerw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 16, 2009
    Loc:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Dewalt at least offers an adapter to run the new batteries on the old tools.

Anymore I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the major brands, just pick what you like the best.

7. blades

blades
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2008
    Loc:
    WI, Leroy
    i got a small gennny and extension cords- got tired of flipping bad battery paks.

8. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    Sometimes you can.. before i got the makita i got the dewalt drill and driver combo.. Loved the feel and size charged everything up according to directions and got all of 5 2 inch screws out of each battery.. When i took it back they gave me the excuse that i had bought the home owners series and not the professional.. I knew better about that story it was just old stock with bad battery's but i changed it out for my makita set.. Even my dewalt skill saw the deck is out of alignment by almost 1/4 inch.. not bad since i know whats wrong with it but no one else can cut a strait line..

9. sloeffle

sloeffle
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 1, 2012
    Loc:
    Morrow County, Ohio
    I've had a brushless Makita set for three or four years now and it has been bullet proof. The battery will last forever too since it is brushless. I'm not easy on stuff either.

10. Rob711

Rob711
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    I think Santa will bring me a Milwaukee set. Loved my old one, just have to remember it’s not water proof! Thanks for replies.

11. TresK3

TresK3
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2007
    Loc:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A few years ago my family bought me a Bosch set for Father's Day/Birthday. I've been very pleased, although the drill does slow down when I'm using it to mix mortar or grout. They also gave me a Bosch (corded) jig saw, which is great. Since then I've bought a Bosch reciprocating saw - not sure how I managed without one for so long!

I'm about to get an angle grinder. Any advice there? Corded or cordless? If I go cordless, I'll probably stick with Bosch so the batteries interchange. If I go corded, what do people like?

Thanks!

12. greg13

greg13
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2012
    Loc:
    CNY
    I have 2 corded Bosch grinders at the shop I use the 4 1/2" for 95% of what I do. The 9" will tear through about anything but it is heavy.
    Both are great grinders. I haven't bought a cordless yet so I really don't know that much about any of them, but I would probably build on my Ryobi line.

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I got the Makita 20v lithium 1/2" drill early on. It cost a fortune back then but has turned out to be one tough drill. It will drill out locksets as if it was plugged in. I built our wood shed which is all screwed and bolted together and our greenhouse with this tool and it still performs great.