I need help identifying a russo insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2016
Rochester, ny
This is my stove it came in the house I purchased a couple years ago. There was no liner so I installed a 6 inch ss insulated liner from the Nova flex group. The stove runs pretty good, I always thought I could have a little more control over it though. today I took the door off and cleaned it up and plan to replace the gaskets. when I removed the windows I noticed they used lock washers to give it a gap between the window frame and the door? I don't know if this is supposed to be like this? Can I put gaskets in there and remove the washers? The lack of precision control I can live with but if it's not running the whole house smells like fire.Any help would be much appreciated .

1480602378827-65618502.jpg 1480602449084229660741.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No luck finding a manual but you could ask these folks ... http://www.woodstove-fireplaceglass.com/Russo.html

I called russo directly and they said I have to leave the gap for secondary combustion. I'll have to make a magnetic cover for when it's not running. Everything I read on secondary combustion say for it to burn right it has to be about 1000 degrees. I hope that's not right because I don't think I ever burn it that hot

Is it the stove or the chimney causing the smell? Negative pressure can cause this. Was the chimney cleaned before the liner was installed? Properly sealed on top? Smell more noticeable now than before the liner? (Glad you installed the liner by the way!)

Smell goes away when the firebox of the stove is sealed as you have it now?

Not sure on the combustion temps ... I know the stoves with the cats are lower temps.

I called russo directly and they said I have to leave the gap for secondary combustion. I'll have to make a magnetic cover for when it's not running. Everything I read on secondary combustion say for it to burn right it has to be about 1000 degrees. I hope that's not right because I don't think I ever burn it that hot
Guessing they mean the gases have to be that hot not the stove top. Stove will start glowing as you get towards 900 and that's not good.

Reactions: Freehaetisgood
Is it the stove or the chimney causing the smell? Negative pressure can cause this. Was the chimney cleaned before the liner was installed? Properly sealed on top? Smell more noticeable now than before the liner? (Glad you installed the liner by the way!)

Smell goes away when the firebox of the stove is sealed as you have it now?

Not sure on the combustion temps ... I know the stoves with the cats are lower temps.

The chimney was not cleaned before the liner was installed. I had to break out the tiles in there to fit the liner down. I'm actually pulling the stove Saturday so a good friend can give me a inspection and tell me if I need to clean the creasote out. but with the front taped off it doesn't smell at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.