I need to extend my hearth out 8", will this meet code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stejus

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2008
Central MA
My existing hearth is 56"w x 16.5"d x 5"h.

I need to go out 8" to meet code. Can I lay a peice of bluestone or some other form of laser cut rock (56"w x 10"d) directly on top of the hardwood floor the meets the hearth? I would put felt on the bottom and them a rubberized backer to prevent scratches and movement on the floor. Best of all, I can remove it during non burning season.

Maybe. What does the insert's manual say is required?

BeGreen said:
Maybe. What does the insert's manual say is required?

I know bluestone is non-combustible. I guess my only question is the fact that this stone will not be a permanent floor and it sits on top of a wood floor. The little seam between the brick and bluestone might be an issue?

Hampton HI300

Thermal floor protection not required if unit is
raised 3.5" min. measured from bottom of stove. At
this point the standard ember floor protection will
be required. It will need to be a non-combustible
material that covers 16" (406 mm) to the front
of the unit (in Canada 18" (450 mm) and 8" (200
mm) to the sides.

All floor protection must be non-combustible (i.e.,
metals, brick, stone,
mineral fiber boards, etc.) Any
organic materials (i.e. plastics, wood paper products,
etc.) are combustible and must not be used.
The floor protection specified includes some form
of thermal designation such as R-value (thermal
resistance) or k-factor (thermal conductivity).

sounds like you will be fine....I have got a hearth extention to get it out to code. it also just sits on a wood floor The extentions come in many different colors to meet your decor. i am only 4" off floor. That small crack between extention and hearth "blue stone" I don't worry about it.

Yup. Sounds like you would be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.