I now understand why pellet stoves have hoppers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
These cutoffs were from all the too long splits set aside over the past few years. I could barely get the the stove loaded before it was burning the hair off my hands.

Attachments

• load of pellets.jpg
    load of pellets.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 466
I am burning them uglies right now too!

I may have to rethink my uglies drying strategy. These things lit the cat right off while the cutoffs from spring processing take some work.

Attachments

• load of pellets light off.jpg
    load of pellets light off.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 397
  • load of pellets light off2.jpg
    load of pellets light off2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 398
ya know my jotul comes right up to temp quick with these also, but i am on a postage stamp lot in suburbia!! burning mine up to make room for the kids to run around the house from the driveway side where they are all piled since last fall.
i think it is all in my head cause when i put the small pieces in, i don't really expect longer burn times so i tend to leave the air open longer. When i put in bigger splits i am going for less reloads and longer times, subsenquently i cut the air way back. I still get plenty of heat output, but the thermometer i have on the flue drops about 75deg.

I 'had' about a 1/2 cord of these little devils - going through them now - can't wait to actually bring in regular sized splits and get the garbage can holding these dropoffs OUT of my living room! Heat is heat - btu's are btu's and they are doing their job.

Shari

SolarAndWood said:
These cutoffs were from all the too long splits set aside over the past few years. I could barely get the the stove loaded before it was burning the hair off my hands.
u dont light the hopper in a pelletstove, duh

Shari said:
I 'had' about a 1/2 cord of these little devils

I used to look at the little devils as a liability as well, but this is the first time I've burned them when they were actually dry as opposed to tossed in a heap and burned 6 months later. I'm thinking I might see if I can find some apple bins that I can move around with the tractor. Then, I wouldn't mind keeping them around longer.

SolarAndWood said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

lol, was that my mistake?
maybe not, ive read of binfires be4. i'd burn the uglies on top of tight bed of splits from the top down, however acheivable........

~*~vvv~*~ said:
top down, however acheivable........

no top down fires in this house. It gets lit in September and burns until May. Whatever gets thrown in the firebox goes on top of hot coals.

SolarAndWood said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
top down, however acheivable........

no top down fires in this house. It gets lit in September and burns until May. Whatever gets thrown in the firebox goes on top of hot coals.
bottom up burn results in accelerated burning where the lower piece heats the wood above it. acceleration might require more combustion air to accomodate stochiometric ideal,maybe

I burned all that stuff a while back. Have had a fire in the stove for close to a month now.

Love the chunks . . . season fast and burn quick . . . always easy to get some nice secondary action from them.

Assuming the coals are hot enough, how about using a coal shovel to load the stove? Shovel the load in and close the door. It won't be as nicely packed as in your picture, but you won't get your arms singed either!

fredarm said:
but you won't get your arms singed either!

A buddy of mine at work laughed at me when I told him about it. He asked me what I did with his Fireman's gloves he gave me last summer.

Regular long cuffed welding gloves work well enough for me.

I have normal "man" hands. A little bit of flame or hot coal does nothing other than make burning hair smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.