I said I was done...... But

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I found two dead standing maples right by one another today. I'm gonna get up at daylight and beat the heat. Haven't cut in awhile so I'm excited! I love this stuff.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Or the Maples found you... ==c What kind of Maple?? As a matter of fact, I scored a bit over a half cord of Silver yesterday, about half the tree fell into the guy's yard from the church next door. It was only a mile from my MIL's house so I took it there for Buck fodder. Been a little steamy here, too. Low 90s, and the humidity hasn't been getting below 50%. Good SW wind almost every day though, which is drying my field stack, and drying me when I'm out working. >>

Sounds like me. I currently have about 8 cords of oak, beech, black birch and maple c/s/s for this winter and next. I've got another cord of red oak that's down but needs to be cut and split. Also have around 2 cords of white pine c/s/s with another 2 cords waiting to be split. I really don't need any more wood right now. The phone rings the other night and my wife's friend says "hey, I have some maple at my house lot that's all cut it just needs to be hauled away - you want it?" I look at my wife and say I really don't want anymore wood in the yard right now but it's free and all I have to do is load it. Dammit - yup, we'll be up in a few minutes to pick it up. 2 full pickup loads later and I'm done. I guess it's an addition to stay ahead at this point.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Or the Maples found you... ==c What kind of Maple?? As a matter of fact, I scored a bit over a half cord of Silver yesterday, about half the tree fell into the guy's yard from the church next door. It was only a mile from my MIL's house so I took it there for Buck fodder. Been a little steamy here, too. Low 90s, and the humidity hasn't been getting below 50%. Good SW wind almost every day though, which is drying my field stack, and drying me when I'm out working. >>

Old faithful here, Red Maple of course. I've yet to find any hard maple here. This stuff is everywhere. I cleared a thick spot close to the house the other day and I bet there are 15-20 in there that are 4-5" young saplings. This is just in about 1/4 acre spot. I've got enough red maple, pin and willow oak to do me and 2 or 3 more folks for life. That's a real good feeling!

image.jpg By the way woody, I moved a little more out to my spot by the pond. Oh yea, that stuff is cooking out there now. I'm not the least worried these stacks will be ready by fall. The ones in the shade are doing ok too though. I checked a few splits the other day and they were in the mid 20's

I got a good C.L score aomth ago and still cuttin on it . May end up with around 10 cord or more time I'm done. My backyard will be a wooded wonderland

Reactions: Woody Stover
that stuff is cooking out there now. I'm not the least worried these stacks will be ready by fall. The ones in the shade are doing ok too though. I checked a few splits the other day and they were in the mid 20's
I may have mentioned before, that Red is the quickest-drying stuff I've come across yet. Guaranteed dry by fall, probably even the slim shady. But as you get close to 20%, the drying rate slows down.
I wish I was done but after I get to five cords in the field, I need another eight or so to stay three years ahead on us and my MIL. Gonna be another warm summer for me. <> I had my wife cut off my hair this morning...now I can feel the breeze. ==c I just looked at your weather; It's a bit on the steamy side! Got 91 here, 45% and a good breeze; I may have to go out and take advantage of this nice weather. ;lol

Last edited:
I may have mentioned before, that Red is the quickest-drying stuff I've come across yet. Guaranteed dry by fall, probably even the slim shady. But as you get close to 20%, the drying rate slows down.
I wish I was done but after I get to five cords in the field, I need another eight or so to stay three years ahead on us and my MIL. Gonna be another warm summer for me. <> I had my wife cut off my hair this morning...now I can feel the breeze. ==c I just looked at your weather; It's a bit on the steamy side! Got 91 here, 45% and a good breeze; I may have to go out and take advantage of this nice weather. ;lol

Yea it's only 90 with 65% humidity lol! Its gonna be unbearable as usual come august. I'm gonna post some wood id pics here shortly that I took this morning while cutting. Right now I'm cutting bean sticks for my folks! Woooooppppiiiiiiii!

I see some low- to mid-80s next week; Getting my ducks in a row now, to do some damage. >>

The firewood collecting is never done. Always on the lookout. I am just scrounging oak,locust,maple,hickory,mulberry,Osage,ash and beech.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Amen to that Pauly. I just got offered 3 cord of split and unsplit mixed wood. Oak , wild cherry elm locust and a pinch of sassafras from my neighbor today. Gotta have it

I am just scrounging oak,locust,maple,hickory,mulberry,Osage,ash and beech.
i love reading stories on here about people battling their addictions with gathering wood...
I'm ashamed to say, I still scrounge Silver Maple even though I don't need that lowly a wood. Sick, I know.

My Wife instructed me "There will be no more Log Loads dropped at our house !!".....I sorta agree, the last two loads have had some pretty big ones, and always a Stump, or something else undesirable, but it is free, and all hardwood......much better scrounging and getting stuff that is more manageable, and to my liking. I know most would love to have this problem, but I'm having trouble finding the time to cut the loads and move the rounds....especially the big ones:rolleyes:

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Status
Not open for further replies.