I sold my 290 and now. . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MasterMech said:
Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
192t or a 330,360t Your dad has one...lol Very strong two gun attack... ;-) My 192t and 460 theres not much I cant do in a hurry!

I'm not that interested in a top-handle as I can always borrow the old man's (and it'll be mine soon enough)

I was thinking 260/270/280, or perhaps a smaller Echo

Both of Stihl's top handle saws are available in a regular back-handle config. Just drop the "t" from the model number. MS192 with a back handle would be a mean limbing saw indeed. If you were looking at a 260/261 then a MS200 is in that price range and would only be meaner than the 192.

YepYep!

Yep x 3. MS 200 is a vicious little saw in any configuration.

amateur cutter said:

192t with the smaller kerf is under rated! ;-) 043 vs 3/8 you get some bang for your buck...Keep the 460/440 rocking as much as possible! :cheese:

This should give the little 192 a little weight!

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 167
smokinjay said:
amateur cutter said:

192t with the smaller kerf is under rated! ;-) 043 vs 3/8 you get some bang for your buck...Keep the 460/440 rocking as much as possible! :cheese:

That's actually one of the reasons I want a bigger small saw: I don't want to keep track of two sets of files.

As for the weight difference between the 261 and the 440, it is substantial - 11.6/14.8 - and that's without bars&chains;

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:
amateur cutter said:

That's actually one of the reasons I want a bigger small saw: I don't want to keep track of two sets of files.

As for the weight difference between the 261 and the 440, it is substantial - 11.6/14.8 - and that's without bars&chains;

Ok, been there done that...Very rare do I find myself reaching for a 260 over a 460 ever. Anything a 260 can do a 460 can do way better! 3lbs isnt much for the zip you carry. Now at 9lb saw with bar and fulids with a top handle now you have something that your 440/460 cant do better. Always run your best saw....Oh and never will you need to sharpen the small saw in the feild. It should always be in clean wood and the 440 should be doing 90-100 percent of the work. That really is the advantage of buying a very Good Saw to start with.

260 would be like your 290. If its running the same chain set-up 3/8 its really less than impressive saw for the money. The new 261 I think is much heaver! (Ok the 260 is 10.6)

Oh one more thing you can chase the hi of the 440 for the rest of your life.......(just never the same, run it) ;-) If you can justify a 261 go one bigger the 361 really gives you some range of wood for one more lb! lol And Lee can crap a 2lber! :lol:

amateur cutter said:

Does anybody file Stihl .043 chain? It's so inexpensive that I hardly think it would be worth it.

MasterMech said:
amateur cutter said:

Does anybody file Stihl .043 chain? It's so inexpensive that I hardly think it would be worth it.

I do....But it is pretty amazing that it doesnt need sharpen very often!

I think that .043 picco micro chain one of the best kept secrets in saw chain.

MasterMech said:
I think that .043 picco micro chain one of the best kept secrets in saw chain.

Yes sir! Makes an awesome light weight saw...Wish I could run it on my 880! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.