I sold my 290 and now. . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigg_Redd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2008
Shelton, WA
. . . I miss having 2 saws. She went to a good home but - having seen the 2-saw promise land - I'm not sure I can go back to Onesawville like the rest of you one saw having chumps.

Did I use the trusty old girl after I brought home my new saw? No.

Did I have any plan to use her? No.

Yet there she was. Reassuring me. Saying, "relax buddy. I'm still here."

192t or a 330,360t Your dad has one...lol Very strong two gun attack... ;-) My 192t and 460 theres not much I cant do in a hurry!

smokinjay said:
192t or a 330,360t Your dad has one...lol Very strong two gun attack... ;-) My 192t and 460 theres not much I cant do in a hurry!

I'm not that interested in a top-handle as I can always borrow the old man's (and it'll be mine soon enough)

I was thinking 260/270/280, or perhaps a smaller Echo

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:

I'm not that interested in a top-handle as I can always borrow the old man's (and it'll be mine soon enough)

Your not going to be happy with the 260/270/280...the weight to power its easier to grab the 440....Thats what makes the top handle so sweet under 9lbs bar and fuel dont add up to crap. I have ran the ms180 alot and one guy I cut with is very good with one, but he now has the 192t aswell. ;-) (the 180 is pretty much a rear handle 192t)

346 with 16" bar. There, you're done.
edit- Jay's onto something there. I love my ms-180. It doesn't have the poop the 346 has, but it's a very useful saw.

Beetle-Kill said:
346 with 16" bar. There, you're done.
edit- Jay's onto something there. I love my ms-180. It doesn't have the poop the 346 has, but it's a very useful saw.

I know lots of people run a 50cc/70cc set up, but I would put money that a 30-35cc saw and a 70cc saw is faster. ;-)

I always bring 2 saws in case I have to cut myself out.

Love my 339XP, and it's big brother 385XP. I have not played with either in a while, getting quite itchy.

Then again, I havn't fired up my sleds in a while either...........got to go.

KC

My backup is my original 'starter' saw. A little Craftsman with a 16 inch bar. I didn't know any better and it did okay for me. About a year and a half ago I jumped to a new MS390 that is muffler modded. Wow! What a difference. I've considered selling the Craftsman but so far have decided to keep it as an extraction device should I ever get the 390 stuck.

joecool85 said:
339xp is ugly but super light, high revver and rear handle. I love mine.

Really? I've grown to love the way mine looks. It's that shape that helps so much with the vibes and the general ergonomics of the saw. She may seem an "Ugly Betty" at first, but she pretties up real good when you learn how well she can handle your wood. ;-P

Totally awesome saw IMO.

I'll never go back to one saw. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to grab the backup. If I'm a few cuts from being done and I run out of gas-> grab the backup instead of taking the time to refill. If the chain gets dull and I'm close, same thing. If I pinch a bar (well, that never happens to me, but I've heard of it happening) I know I've got an option. Heaven forbid something doesn't work on the primary saw, still got the backup.

In fact, I really think you are sitting good if you have a light saw, a big saw, and a couple of decent mid-range saws for the major part of the cutting. That's kinda where I'm at, except I need to upgrade the Super's bar and get the 170 running right.

BTW Redd, I know the feeling. I just got rid of my very first saw, the Stihl 011 I bought new 22 years ago. She went to a good home, to a buddy who lives nearby, so I can check on her from time to time. I tuned her up, cleaned her off, sharpened her chain and sadly took her out to limb up a big elm I just had dropped by a tree service.

Then I took my buddy's $150 fast as I could before he changed his mind. That saw is nothing compared to my 339XP, and my Dolmar 420 spanks it so bad I'd never have even let the guy compare them or he'd feel cheated. These new high-revving saws are great!

Danno77 said:
In fact, I really think you are sitting good if you have a light saw, a big saw, and a couple of decent mid-range saws for the major part of the cutting. That's kinda where I'm at, except I need to upgrade the Super's bar and get the 170 running right.

Now , I have 2--- my MS 290 w/ 20" bar , and my new little Echo CS 370 w/ 16" bar...... and I thought I was SET! You mean, I need 2 or three MORE?! Oh,boy.......the wife is NOT gonna be happy to hear THIS!!!!

After all these years I have no problem with owning only one saw. I have plenty of other things to use the dollars for and I can use only one saw at a time. Never did learn how to use one in each hand.

btw Bigg_Redd. It is 1 chainsaw and not 1 chainsaws. Yes, you are welcome.

1 chainsaw?!? Is that even possible?

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with Jay. I like my 192T no doubt, but for anything from limbing to cutting 12" rounds the 026 with a 16" bar & 3/8 chisel chain is the faster saw for the weight. High RPM light weight well balanced & good anti vibe. BTW, no such thing as too many saws, just need more storage space is all. A C

wood-fan-atic said:
Danno77 said:

Now , I have 2--- my MS 290 w/ 20" bar , and my new little Echo CS 370 w/ 16" bar...... and I thought I was SET! You mean, I need 2 or three MORE?! Oh,boy.......the wife is NOT gonna be happy to hear THIS!!!!
Maybe only one more. It should be a BIG saw, BTW.

Bigg_Redd said:
I'm not sure I can go back to Onesawville like the rest of you one saw having chumps.
:lol:
I'm down a saw as my 039 is not running well at the moment. I need to get that sweetie back in the lineup ASAP. Nice to have a lighter saw that's got some power for the smaller stuff. Alas, I have to keep processing wood for the time being, so the 460/170 are carrying me for now.

wood-fan-atic said:
Danno77 said:

Can't put a number on how many is needed.. That's like putting a price on happiness.

Altough I think.... That if I can get 2 or 3 more. I will finally be satisfied. Maybe..........

amateur cutter said:
I'm gonna respectfully disagree with Jay. I like my 192T no doubt, but for anything from limbing to cutting 12" rounds the 026 with a 16" bar & 3/8 chisel chain is the faster saw for the weight. High RPM light weight well balanced & good anti vibe. BTW, no such thing as too many saws, just need more storage space is all. A C

Yea I have had 180,260,036,360,361,192t,460,880. Just not as much of a difference far as weight from a 260 when you have a 440/460 (more power its your best saw USE IT). Just as easy to clear the way to 6inchs with a top handle then 360 or 460 does the rest......Much quicker than the 260..... ;-) And the 192t is quicker on the 4 inch and under. Really comes down to the trees you do but I know there is 2-192t and an 180 that gets used every-time....260 got sold! :cheese: But there is alot of people who believe in the 50/70cc combo I am dont one of them.

Yea I have had 180,260,036,360,361,192t,460,880. Just not as much of a difference far as weight from a 260 when you have a 440/460 (more power its your best saw USE IT). Just as easy to clear the way to 6inchs with a top handle then 360 or 460 does the rest…...Much quicker than the 260….. And the 192t is quicker on the 4 inch and under. Really comes down to the trees you do but I know there is 2-192t and an 180 that gets used every-time….260 got sold! But there is alot of people who believe in the 50/70cc combo I am dont one of them.
No argument about the 50/70cc combo, too close in weight. I carry 4 saws most of the time, & pretty much choose my saw by wood size vs bar length. Thankfully I don't often have to limb a lot of the stuff I cut. Tree full of branches gets the 192T every time, otherwise the 260 cuts from the top to 12", then the 064 does the rest. Easier for me to keep the tip of the long bar out'a the dirt on dead fall that way. Ultimately, I want one or two saws in every cc class just for fun. A C

Bigg_Redd said:
smokinjay said:

Both of Stihl's top handle saws are available in a regular back-handle config. Just drop the "t" from the model number. MS192 with a back handle would be a mean limbing saw indeed. If you were looking at a 260/261 then a MS200 is in that price range and would only be meaner than the 192.

Status
Not open for further replies.