New member with a Mansfield, sayin hello

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pinesmoke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2023
SE Tenn
I've been reading through for a couple of days and the knowledge here is incredible. Great people and great camaraderie. Seems like home.

I've been burning for more years than I want to admit and landed here trying to get my arms around a new EPA stove. I hope I can add to the collective knowledge and help out.

We put the Mansfield in a new build up in the mountains. After clearing for the house we have more down wood than I hope to burn before it goes bad, but I'm going to try. I haven't had the weather to get the girl on full cruise yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do. I burned a non cat Large Dutchwest for 18 years and miss the old girl but times change.

Stay warm y'all

Welcome. I think you'll find that big rock a nice heater. If the firewood is kept off the ground and top covered, it will last a long time.

Welcome. I think you'll find that big rock a nice heater. If the firewood is kept off the ground and top covered, it will last a long time.
That big rock is a pretty girl for sure and should do the job. Ran outside air to her since after our place was stood up and sided it was shot with 3" of closed cell foam 100%, sealing it to the slab. When you hear "my place is pretty tight", this is a new level. 95deg day it takes until about 4 to soak in enough to set off the thermo for AC so heating should be pretty easy.
The tough part will be getting my wife up to speed on the stove.

The wood is shoved into piles and I'm working into them now but it is a true wintertime project. Ticks are one thing but the Copperheads, Timber Ratters and 2 1/2" long European Hornets are another thing. The locals won't pull open a wood pile in warm weather, it's just to dicey.

With all the Mansfield posts I've seen I'll probably run a thread up on it when I get it sorted out. First observation is the ash plan is near worthless. The shaker grate is designed to close the gate when the door is closed, the shaker comes out this weekend so the ash can be ranked around and drop in.
IMG_20231129_215010972_HDR.jpg
Obligatory pic.

Last edited: