I think it's time to start thinking about a new stove. But I'm not sure where to start.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tg27

Feb 16, 2020
USA
So, I moved into my current house 4 years ago. It came with a Jotul Firelight 12 from the early 90s. I got the stove all serviced, had the chimney liner replaced, a new stove pipe. All good stuff!

I've been enjoying the stove every winter since. BUT, if you look at my post history, the old stove is having some problems. So I'm thinking of replacing it this summer vs dumping money into a 30ish year old stove. But here are my questions...
  • I sometimes see insane install prices on here and on Reddit. But I'm assuming those are for people who are starting from scratch. Since I have the hearth, chimney, liner in place, will the price I pay be closer to the price of just the stove?
  • I imagine buying from a dealer and having them install is the best route to go. That said, I do have "my stove guy" who cleans the chimney and did the work described above. Could I have him install to save some money or best to stick w/ the dealer?
  • I know my current jotul had a very early cat. But I have to say I hate wrestling with it when I have a fire. I love the idea of simply tossing wood in the stove when it's low vs trying to get a cat to engage. So I'm thinking non-cat for my needs...but let me know what ya'll think.
  • Finally, and this is a big one...what should I get!? My house is 1900 square feet. The stove will not be my primary heat source. I use it honestly for fun a few days a week over the winter (and to offset some heating costs).
Sorry for all the questions. Like I said...I'm not sure where to start with tall this!

Swapping out a stove can be a quick and easy process if one does their homework first. You'll want a large stove in the the 3 cu ft range. The most important question to start with - what will fit? Does it need to be rear-vented or will top vent work? A picture of the current stove installation will help.

Off season sales have started. Will a Jotul F55 fit?

And what is your aesthetic preference. After all you'll be looking at the thing for a decade or two if everything goes well.

Swapping out a stove can be a quick and easy process if one does their homework first. You'll want a large stove in the the 3 cu ft range. The most important question to start with - what will fit? Does it need to be rear-vented or will top vent work? A picture of the current stove installation will help.

Off season sales have started. Will a Jotul F55 fit?
Oh great call about the pic. I didn't even think of that. I'm not sure about the rear or top vented question, but I think I have a decent amount of space to work with.

that Jotul seems nice!

tempImagevuKd1P.png

And what is your aesthetic preference. After all you'll be looking at the thing for a decade or two if everything goes well.
Really just something that will work w/ the space (see pic in other post). I'm stuck with that 70s style brick on the hearth, so nothing that clashes too much with that.

If you like the cast iron look, then the Jotul F55 or the PE Alderlea T6 will work there.

Let's define this from the opposite: the cast iron look is "not an Englander".

I.e. it's a stove that has cast iron panels (often with curved classical lines in/on them), rather than having welded steel panels which are much flatter and straighter.

Reactions: tg27
Potentially silly question: but what is the cast iron look? Regardless, I like the look of those 2 stoves!
Both of these stoves have a castiron cladding on a steel stove core. They look like cast iron stoves, but at heart they are welded steel stoves. Contrast this to Vermont Castings, some Jotuls (F3CB, F602CB, F400, F500, F600) and the Green Mountain stoves which are pure cast iron stoves.

Straight cast iron stove will radiate more heat from the front and sides. They tend to have higher clearances because of this. In a big space that takes a long time to heat this radiant heat can be desirable. Cast iron stoves are either gasketed or cemented at the seams. Over time (may be 10-20+ yrs) the cement in seams can start to break down and the stove needs a recementing.

Cast-iron jacketed stoves have a welded steel stove at heart. The jacket hangs off of the steel body with a small air gap. This acts as a buffer for the intense heat coming from the steel body. It softens the heat and stores it, kind of like a flywheel. As the fire dies down the cast iron jacket continues to release heat. This has the effect of a little slower warmup, but also less temperature swing in the room through the fire cycles and longer warmth from the stove. These stoves typically have lower clearances for installation than cast iron stoves.

Both of these stoves have a castiron cladding on a steel stove core. They look like cast iron stoves, but at heart they are welded steel stoves. Contrast this to Vermont Castings, some Jotuls (F3CB, F602CB, F400, F500, F600) and the Green Mountain stoves which are pure cast iron stoves.

Straight cast iron stove will radiate more heat from the front and sides. They tend to have higher clearances because of this. In a big space that takes a long time to heat this radiant heat can be desirable. Cast iron stoves are either gasketed or cemented at the seams. Over time (may be 10-20+ yrs) the cement in seams can start to break down and the stove needs a recementing.

Cast-iron jacketed stoves have a welded steel stove at heart. The jacket hangs off of the steel body with a small air gap. This acts as a buffer for the intense heat coming from the steel body. It softens the heat and stores it, kind of like a flywheel. As the fire dies down the cast iron jacket continues to release heat. This has the effect of a little slower warmup, but also less temperature swing in the room through the fire cycles and longer warmth from the stove. These stoves typically have lower clearances for installation than cast iron stoves.
Wow. Really interesting. Thanks for the explanation. Any idea what my old Jotul Firelight is?

Cast.

Wow. Really interesting. Thanks for the explanation. Any idea what my old Jotul Firelight is?
The F12 is a fully cast iron stove.

I replaced my old Vermont castings stove with a PE Alderlea T6 and love it. Similar situation for me last year.

Oh great call about the pic. I didn't even think of that. I'm not sure about the rear or top vented question, but I think I have a decent amount of space to work with.

that Jotul seems nice!

View attachment 326443
If you want to brighten the brick, just dilute some white latex paint with 50% water and white wash it. We had that in our old house and it looked great. The darker spots of brick will show through a bit . You can find pics that people did online.

Did you want a top loading stove like the F-12 is? If not, and you like Jotul the F55 Carrabassett will be a fabulous replacement, a bit more heat and easssssssy to operate too. Nice setup you have too, it will be an easy changeout.