I used to be Dexter Black: VC question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
I had to re-register for this site, as I forgot my old sign in. I was considering getting a vc Aspen, but in light of the VC bankruptcy filing, I don't know.

Any ideas for a good, very small woodstove for heating the area of a newly expanded bedroom? (340 - 400 sq. ft?). This would be in the Boulder CO area.

Dexter

The little Jotul F100 Nordic would be good for that. Only three hours or so burn time but that is about the same as any stove with a small firebox.

They squeeze about as much usable wood space out of it as any others.

Now about the part about solid fuel burning appliances being pretty much illegal in a sleeping area of a house pretty much anywhere in the country, that is a whole nother thing.

We bought an Aspen about 18 months ago and had no idea of VC's business issues (which it sounds like they were having back then). But our dealer was really good and we've been very happy with our purchase.

With the Aspen, we turned a 200 sq ft three-season room into a four-season room. The room has 5' windows on three sides, a vaulted ceiling and french doors into the family room. The room isn't zoned for heat or air, so some mornings it can be down in the 30's out there. On those days, it can take a little while before the Aspen gets the room up to a comfortable temperature, but once it does it's quite cozy out there. Often times we have to open the door to the family room to let some of the heat off. That little stove works!

Would I buy one now, knowing what I know about VC? I'm not sure. That said...I'm considering a Jotul or a Hearthstone for an insert in my family room and not the VC Montpelier.

I never considered it, but now that I think of it, I quess I've never seen a free-standing woodburner in modern installation in a bedroom. Damn.

We are thinking of closing-in a small deck on the roof of a 1-car garage (deck abuts our upstairs bedroom.) We would remove the door to the deck, and it would become the entry-way to an upstairs sunroom/study/whatever room. I guess that would still be considered part of the sleeping area, huh? What if a door were to close off the new room? I'd prefer wood to gas, as I have access to an awful lot of free lodgepole pine. BTW, is a free-standing gas (direct vent) OK in a bedroom?

Dexter

(Hampton H15 for seldom used basement, Jotul Lilihammer for small office, Jotul Firelight CB for general house heating. 'Never use the furnace)

Check the manual but that Lilihammer direct vented should be bedroom approved. You could move it and put a Nordic or F3 in the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.