I want to redirect the fan forced air from the stove top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OceanWarming

Jan 28, 2019
Yukon
I looked around on the internet for some example of someone else having already designed a gadget that can redirect the forced air coming out of the top vents of my stove.

Why would I want to do this???

Because the stove is located in a small living room and in order to save space and to allow me to have furniture in the room, I had the stove installed in a corner by a professional installer. The install was done very professionally and cost me more than $1,000. My home insurance person was very impressed when they came and did an inspection.

Because the stove was put in the corner, it faces towards a bathroom door that opens into the living room. When I run the stove the living room and the bathroom become exceedingly hot and the other rooms on the first floor, the dining room and the kitchen, don't get heated very well at all because the air that is blowing out the top of the stovetop vents, blows in the opposite direction of the doorway into the dining and kitchen area.

I installed a couple of doorway vent fans in the dining room but it really didn't make any difference at all, because the stove is blowing hot air in the opposite direction.

Instead, I experimented by putting some 3 foot aluminum angle iron into the top stove Vents and lo and behold I was able to redirect the air in the opposite direction from the vent holes towards the dining room and it heated the entire first floor including the most distant room, the kitchen.

The 3-foot angle iron was very effective but it looked ridiculous. So then I went to the hardware store and bought some aluminum downspout connections and was able to fashion something much smaller and a little more pleasing to the eye.

Has anyone else ever experimented with this and come up with something that looks professional and elegant looking?

I don't think the stove manufacturer has ever thought about this problem.

It seems like a simple fabrication solution could solve this for all sorts of wood or pellet stoves end-users that want to redirect the fan blown air in a different direction--- just like the louvers on the dashboard heater vents of your car can redirect the air from your car dashboard heater in different directions within the cab of your car...

What seems to work the best would be to put a small fan on the floor blowing cold air from the part of the house you want warmer into the stove room. This will make a convection loop forcing the hot air to replace the cold air.

What seems to work the best would be to put a small fan on the floor blowing cold air from the part of the house you want warmer into the stove room. This will make a convection loop forcing the hot air to replace the cold air.
I will try to see if that helps a little.
What I really want to do is get the forced fan air coming out of the top stove vent to be directed in another Direction. I have already tried that with the aluminum angle iron and it works. I'm looking for a more elegant solution to redirect the air, just like your car's dashboard heater vent does.

Hot air right off the stove is very hard to control where it goes because it's very turbulent and has a lot of energy. Plus heat (hot air) wants to do two things: rise and move towards cold. I think even if you did build a contraption, it would only marginally improve the outcome. Once the hot air has risen towards the ceiling, it's going to go where it wants to.

All that said, is your bathroom door usually closed? I ask because what may be happening is the hot air is moving that way because it's leaking out via the vent fan. Try the floor fan blowing cool air towards the stove and close the bathroom door.

Hot air right off the stove is very hard to control where it goes because it's very turbulent and has a lot of energy. Plus heat (hot air) wants to do two things: rise and move towards cold. I think even if you did build a contraption, it would only marginally improve the outcome. Once the hot air has risen towards the ceiling, it's going to go where it wants to.

All that said, is your bathroom door usually closed? I ask because what may be happening is the hot air is moving that way because it's leaking out via the vent fan. Try the floor fan blowing cool air towards the stove and close the bathroom door.

Jeesz.... as I said in my post, when I use aluminum angle iron in the top vents of the stove to direct the heat towards the opposite direction that is blowing, it works fine and it Heats those other rooms. The stove blowers blow directly out of the top front of the stove and all the air is directly blowing towards the bathroom door. If I close the bathroom door the temperature in the living room goes over 80 degrees. The heat is trapped in the living room and is not circulating out the other doorways unless I use the angle iron vents. I'm just wondering if other people have tried to divert there are more using a more elegant device than angle iron or aluminum downspouts. Both of those message work fine and they direct the air towards the room that is not being heated well. I'm just wondering if anybody has come up with small louvers that fit in the open vents of the top of the stove so the louvers can be moved out of the air goes in another Direction. It works fine and I don't need any more advice about that part because I know that redirecting the air works fine. I proved it
I was just searching for a more elegant solution for vent control to put in the top vents of my stove.

Sorry, had a vision in my head of what you built, but if it works, that's awesome.

Understand that closing the bathroom door traps the heat, but what about using the floor fan to blow cool air from the dining room/kitchen area at the same time? Doing that tends to set up the convective loop to help that heat escape the living room. It's a potential solution without having to modify anything and not worry about elegance. To my knowledge, there isn't something like what you're looking for.

I'm having the same issue with a recently installed Quadra Fire. It points directly at my recliner :-( Can you post a photo of your aluminum angle iron setup?