I was told to never burn pine wood in the fireplace or wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

happycamper

Mar 14, 2013
i was told to never burn pine wood in the fireplace or wood stove
to much sap and creasote i n the wood
even if its dry

asking for truble like a chimney or even your house could burn down when burning pine wood

I figure the myth started before it was easy to check moisture content or if anyone paid attention. Perhaps folks picked up pieces of green pine thinking it was dry oak or something and then caused loads of creosote in the chimney.

My parents burn almost exclusively pine, they have for 15 years, their house and chimney is still intact. I just started burning this year and over half of what I burn will be pine. Not much for choices here, Spruce, Pine, Poplar and the odd White Birch.

We have huge tracts of dry standing pine beetle killed pine. Makes for easy firewood.

Creosote is caused by burning wood that is not properly seasoned (less than 20% moisture content) as well as improper stove use. Creosote does not naturally exist in wood. I burn pine all the time and I have only a cup or two of creosote each time I clean my chimney. It burns great, especially in the shoulder seasons. Do not succumb to Eastern Pineaphobia.
259057f8a6f4fc610a78b9d31462ca29.jpg

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I figure the myth started before it was easy to check moisture content
I like the theory that says, 'People burned wet Oak or whatever, creo built up in the chimney, they then threw in some Pine which was drier and burned hot, it lit the creo resulting in a chimney fire, and Pine was unjustly framed, based on circumstantial evidence.' :(

I like the theory that says, 'People burned wet Oak or whatever, creo built up in the chimney, they then threw in some Pine which was drier and burned hot, it lit the creo resulting in a chimney fire, and Pine was unjustly framed, based on circumstantial evidence.' :(

Could be that as well. Either way, I've met several local folks that will refuse free seasoned softwoods in fear they will die.

Older stoves with poor air regulation didnt do so well with dry pine. There is some Downeast Maine humor about a homemade woodstove with real good draft. There were some regionally famous story tellers, Bert and I, that did recordings but found an excerpt from a book of Maine stories. You can scroll up to get the beginning of the story. Note the reference to softwood.

Since Spacebus lives downeast he needs to get familar with the local humor ;) Some of the Bert and I stories are on YouTube. Here is link

Reactions: SpaceBus
Pine is fine as long as it's aged 6 months in the Sun. Only one type I hated to burn. Bull Pine (Western Yellow Pine). It seems to have lots of sap. I liked White Pine the best. After bucking up it drys really quick. Load up the stove at 8m and it's good until 5am. (BK King). Alas switched to Pellet Stove last May (Harmon XXV). Sure don't miss the mess and work.
IMG_0447.JPG

Older stoves with poor air regulation didnt do so well with dry pine. There is some Downeast Maine humor about a homemade woodstove with real good draft. There were some regionally famous story tellers, Bert and I, that did recordings but found an excerpt from a book of Maine stories. You can scroll up to get the beginning of the story. Note the reference to softwood.

Since Spacebus lives downeast he needs to get familar with the local humor ;) Some of the Bert and I stories are on YouTube. Here is link

Yes, downeast humor requires one to be from here to get all the jokes. Usually someone has to explain them to me. A friend of mine born and raised here really thought I was nuts for burning soft woods almost full time. I really thought his eyebrows were going to fly off his face!

I love me a hunk of pine in the morning to get the fire blazing good. Only thing I don't like with pine is cutting off all the damn branches when I buck it.

I hate trying to stack splits with a ton of 1-2" nubs all over it. A tiny limbing saw makes this much better.

White pine is all I burn when the temp is above 32. I have about 2 cord of it for this year. I love it. Seasons over the summer, easy to process.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I like the reaction I get from oldtimers when I tell them I burn pine. I had two cords that's been seasoned 5 years, I use it for one off morning fires in shoulder season, have about 1 cord left.

Pine is great if you know how to use your stove correctly and use seasoned wood. Here in central Oregon its the most widely available firewood and it seasons quickly (cut/split in spring, ready by fall). I have both of my stoves fully loaded on pine at the moment keeping our house nice and warm.

1576514717327.png

1576514797270.png

1576515090658.png

one type I hated to burn. Bull Pine (Western Yellow Pine). It seems to have lots of sap.
Sounds like some good stuff to make starter kindling out of...'fat lighter,' as I think they call it down south..AKA fatwood.