I washed my gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you having a problem? Are they really gas logs? Or is it a direct vent? Cement logs? What did you "wash" then with?

Its a Direct Vent, they are Ceramic logs??? I washed them with the garden hose, sprayed water and scrubed them with a brush. I havent used them yet, as I am converting it to LP from Natural

Most direct vents use a fiber ceramic. I don't know how it would stand up to a hose and a scrubber brush. What model of fireplace do you have? Do you possibly have cement logs? I am surprised all the paint did not come off. Either way I don't think that was a very smart thing to do.

Once you convert it, lite it up and see what happens. And, don't do that again, eh!

If they are fairly heavy they are cement, the fiber ceramic logs are light and you can easily damage them. I think the 6000GDV had a large log in the back, and a smaller one in the front, then two Y logs that spanned those. They are cement if I remember correctly. If you let them dry out thoroughly I don't think any harm will come.

Pook said:
water dont burn too good= if theyre dry theyre dry?

If there is moisture trapped inside when it heats up and expands into gas the logs could basically explode! Not very likely though.

HAY, THANKS for all the help/advise. I am going to give it a try, they have been "drying" for over 3 months-hope all the mosture is out!

Kevin

How is washing them different than a hot humid day in August in Boston ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.