I wonder why no one else thought of that ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul L

Sep 28, 2013
Westcliffe, CO
Wine warming rig.

From a local Craigslist FS ad:

Reactions: Ashful
Normally wine wants to be stored cool.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Yeah, I'd have that area stacked with wood.

yeah, i dont care for wine any warmer than room temp at most

although i recall "Glow wine" in germany during the winter was hot apple wine with a cinnimon stick served in a mug with a sugar cube, was wonderful!

Last edited:
I drink white cold and red (my fav) room temp. Although, I wouldn't want my red to be 85 degrees :p

That should be labeled as a vinegar making device.

The high heat will actually ruin the wine. Wine is suppose to be kept at a constant temperature. Like 70 degrees or something, or maybe 500 degrees. I forget which one, never mind...

Reactions: jeff_t
Wine warming rig.

From a local Craigslist FS ad:

Yes, they're probably selling it because they don't use it. How many folks move into a house with an existing wood stove that they will never use, but don't immediately remove because it will look worse that way? Looks like the wine rack area was the wood storage area, no? My guess, anyway.

Didn't mean to quote myself.

Wine warming rig.

Puh, I would not want to drink that wine. If it is going to stay there for longer it is probably ruined by the time they open the bottle. Wine is best stored in a slightly cool (~55 to 60 F) place with sufficient humidity, no temperature swings and protected from light. The only thing they do right is to keep the bottles sideways which is needed to keep the cork wet. For bottles with other closures it actually does not matter.

yeah, i dont care for wine any warmer than room temp at most

although i recall "Glow wine" in germany during the winter was hot apple wine with a cinnimon stick served in a mug with a sugar cube, was wonderful!

Yep, I miss that, too. Where did you find it made with apple wine? Gluehwein is usually made with red wine and spices.

Yep, I miss that, too. Where did you find it made with apple wine? Gluehwein is usually made with red wine and spices.

was in a gasthaus in the foosmarktplatz in wurzburg, bout an hour south of frankfurt. i was stationed in geibelstadt which was just outside of there.

never had a red wine of this type, but it was literally like a hot cider but still it was a wine , not a cider, one of the single most desired tastes i encountered in germany (and i encountered a lot ;) ) ive never found its equal since leaving there

was in a gasthaus in the foosmarktplatz in wurzburg, bout an hour south of frankfurt. i was stationed in geibelstadt which was just outside of there.

never had a red wine of this type, but it was literally like a hot cider but still it was a wine , not a cider, one of the single most desired tastes i encountered in germany (and i encountered a lot ;) ) ive never found its equal since leaving there

Frankfurt is pretty well known for its apple wine although I never have seen it warmed. Since Wuerzburg is in Franken which has quite a bit of red wine vineyards I would have expected more the standard variety of Gluehwein there. Maybe next time I am over I will see if I can find the mulled apple wine somewhere; sounds tasty. If you want to try the "standard" Gluehwein that recipe is quite good:

4 bottles of red wine
Sugar (amount proportional to quality of red wine, the worse the wine the more sugar you need, add it to taste, but start with about 2 cups; I like to use light brown one)
6 - 8 Cinnamon sticks
Whole cloves
2 Oranges
Whole allspice
2 cups of orange juice

Pour the red wine into a large pot and put it on the stove on a very low heat – DON'T BOIL IT!!!
Cut the oranges into slices and then put about 4 cloves into each slice, then put them in with the wine.
Break the cinnamon sticks in half or thirds and put them in with the wine as well as 10 of the whole all spice.
Add in 2 cups of orange juice.
Add in 2 cups of sugar and stir.
Stir on and off for about 30 mins to give the spices time to infuse with the wine and for the magic to occur, then taste it, and add more sugar as needed (possible up to 4 or 5 cups more in the wine is really bad).
Let it simmer for about 30 mins more (again, not letting it boil).

Pour it in cups; best enjoyed outside in the cold with friends and family. ;)

used to drink warm spiced wine all the time in england during the winter. Of course, that's a whole lot different than warming all the bottles.

Frankfurt is pretty well known for its apple wine although I never have seen it warmed. Since Wuerzburg is in Franken which has quite a bit of red wine vineyards I would have expected more the standard variety of Gluehwein there. Maybe next time I am over I will see if I can find the mulled apple wine somewhere; sounds tasty. If you want to try the "standard" Gluehwein that recipe is quite good:

4 bottles of red wine
Sugar (amount proportional to quality of red wine, the worse the wine the more sugar you need, add it to taste, but start with about 2 cups; I like to use light brown one)
6 - 8 Cinnamon sticks
Whole cloves
2 Oranges
Whole allspice
2 cups of orange juice

Pour the red wine into a large pot and put it on the stove on a very low heat – DON'T BOIL IT!!!
Cut the oranges into slices and then put about 4 cloves into each slice, then put them in with the wine.
Break the cinnamon sticks in half or thirds and put them in with the wine as well as 10 of the whole all spice.
Add in 2 cups of orange juice.
Add in 2 cups of sugar and stir.
Stir on and off for about 30 mins to give the spices time to infuse with the wine and for the magic to occur, then taste it, and add more sugar as needed (possible up to 4 or 5 cups more in the wine is really bad).
Let it simmer for about 30 mins more (again, not letting it boil).

Pour it in cups; best enjoyed outside in the cold with friends and family. ;)

i'll have to give that a try, though looking at the ingredients i can tell you straight up its different than what i had. might just be a local concoction, only place i ever had it was in the walking market in downtown Wuerzburg. and only in the winter (obviously) it was the singular alcoholic beverage of my entire stay there. when we went there we always hit the same gasthaus for this. it may have been their own concoction

Think I'll go have a cold beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.