I would really like to use my stove right now. . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone see a pattern here?
This is the kind of thing that happens when people feel that Government is the answer instead of the problem.

Nonsense. You can see the pollution when it gets bad. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. When you're out on the lake and a turd floats by you, I'll bet you'll be the first one to ask why this is permitted.

Reactions: raybonz
Nonsense. You can see the pollution when it gets bad. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that. When you're out on the lake and a turd floats by you, I'll bet you'll be the first one to ask why this is permitted.

No, no.
I agree about the polution/smoke, etc.
Although I live in NH and dont have to deal with bans (yet) I just see this ban as the start of something more. Sorry.
I have raced off road motorcycles for most of my life and have seen first hand how a small ban from riding in one area (arguably legitimately so) turns into a full blown opportunity to close additional riding areas.
Slippery slope...
And I love my Garrison and would hate to have the Gov't tell me I can no longer use it.

Reactions: Shane N
Yay I just got an email that said the ban is lifted in King county and dropped to a stage 1 in Snohomish and Pierce!

Well I'm off to fire up the stove!

I was glad for the stage one. It stopped my neighbor from burning his smudge pot fireplace that stinks up the whole neighborhood.

This is the problem. It is never legal for your neighbor to smoke you out. The current, year round, law prohibits smoke from a chimney above a very low level like 20% opacity. If you can't easily see through the smoke at the chimney cap then it is already illegal.

Weird that my phone posted the same message over an hour apart........weird.

Anyways, I figured that their email alerts would be up to date and the most recent changes in the burn ban stage levels. Guess not eh?
I will have to go back to checking the website more often. Thanks "begreen!"

Now they're just jerking us around. Back to a stage 2 ban in Pierce entirely because one of three weather stations in "south tacoma" read values just barely over the trigger late last night but is now acceptable.

Good thing I stoked the fire this morning.

So, how long can you burn a fire that was already going when a ban goes into affect? What if you just loaded up a big BK full, and have 40 hour burn going?

And how often can they change it? Can they change it back and forth every hour? just nuts! I'd keep buring, screw that. see ya in court!

Reactions: Shane N
Their FAQ site says that they will take it into conideration if you had just loaded the stove. Common sense is what they imply that they will not nail you for letting the fire burn out on its own.

Well the back and forth bans do give some window for uncertainty. Letter of the law is that you are supposed to check their site before every reload.

Letter of the law is that you are supposed to check their site before every reload.

Yeah, Like that is going to happen! Given your rural location and your BK stove I doubt anyone would even know you were burning.
How close are your neighbors? Unfortunately I can actually spit on my neighbors house from my deck (not that I do) just using as a reference, I really have to watch how and when I burn. Luckily I am still in a stage 1

Surrounded by large lots, 5, 8 and my 1 acre but near the road and with no trees I am not hidden. The BK isn't as good at ninja burning as a non-cat since it has such low flue temperatures it is a frequent steamer which looks more obvious than a light smoke. It clears up nicely when the bulk of the wood gasses are flashed off. I had reloaded this morning and have at least 1/3 of the firebox full of fuel still so if the night vision goggle troopers are out they will have no way of knowing that this fuel was from before or after the ban was reelevated to a stage 2.

I did install some pretty good flood lights that tend to distract your eyes from any smoke.

Thick pea soup fog tonight. I went outside onto the concrete patio and the heavy fog on that super cold slab made a cool frost that is so deep you can write in it. It's like walking on frozen grass.

Well tis the season and the start of the burn ban emails in Washington state. Hehe

So far there aren't any restrictions in my county just yet.

What the hell do they have against a person trying to save some money and heat there house with wood::-) Are they going to take tractor trailers off the road when the air pollution is bad? No and that black sh** coming out of the truck stacks is a lot worse for you than wood smoke. Pretty soon there probably going to outlaw wood burning altogether. I better stop right there cause what I have to say cant be said on a public form

Do they make spark arrestors for chimneys? We had to ride them on dirt bikes doing through state parks to avoid forest fires. I would think that such a solution would fix the problem (??)

You said "The regs call out a certian smoke density (20% opacity I believe)". Do they travel around with spectrometers or something else that measures opacity against background light? I doubt it.

The other problem is that it sounds like you need to burn more politicians in your state. You know, for heat.

What the hell do they have against a person trying to save some money and heat there house with wood::-) Are they going to take tractor trailers off the road when the air pollution is bad? No and that black sh** coming out of the truck stacks is a lot worse for you than wood smoke. Pretty soon there probably going to outlaw wood burning altogether. I better stop right there cause what I have to say cant be said on a public form

Did Mineral County, West By God make you get your vehicle tailpipe sniffed?

To be honest I have no idea

I just checked. WV doesn't. Yet. Most states do.

Thank god we have no bans here. We are hidden enough on our property no one would notice anyway. We have a guy on our street who has smoke billowing out of the chimney pipe 24 hrs a day all winter long. The smoke goes right across the street and right into the other neighbors house. If I lived across from him I would be pissed. It's like he try's to produce as much smoke as possible. The top of his chimney and the cap are dripping with brown goo. He is such an idiot.

I just liked a post from January 2013. Oh well I didn't notice the date but I liked the story. Does it look like im burning, no? That's good carry on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.