Ice Road Scrounging (after the melt update)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
I forgot to mention that the wood is on the wrong side of a guard rail.

Stand in the bed of your truck to chain on the pulley block up higher
so the log will clear the guardrail.
Maybe it won't work but I'm always looking for a way to not have to lift.
I've made some "rube goldberg" contraptions for lifting heavy stuff since I
don't have hydraulic equipment on hand.
Like you said, good exercise either way.

FYI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg

Attachments

• DownloadedFile.jpeg
    DownloadedFile.jpeg
    2.2 KB · Views: 109
I have been thinking about it all winter. I have gone from climbing a nearby tree to set a block and using the truck and wire rope to lift and drag the logs out to calling my buddy the tree guy with his boom truck, to just climbing over the guard rail, bucking the logs up into rounds and rolling them up the hill one at a time, halving or quartering them and lifting them over the guard rail onto the truck. I'm thinking that the last choice is the least complicated. If I get tired of lifting I'll go home and come back another day. I don't think anybody else would be silly enough to take the wood before I get back for the rest. Less complicated is better for me.

Flatbedford said:
I have been thinking about it all winter. I have gone from climbing a nearby tree to set a block and using the truck and wire rope to lift and drag the logs out to calling my buddy the tree guy with his boom truck, to just climbing over the guard rail, bucking the logs up into rounds and rolling them up the hill one at a time, halving or quartering them and lifting them over the guard rail onto the truck. I'm thinking that the last choice is the least complicated. If I get tired of lifting I'll go home and come back another day. I don't think anybody else would be silly enough to take the wood before I get back for the rest. Less complicated is better for me.

"I don't think anybody else would be silly enough to take the wood before I get back for the rest." :)
I think the wood will be there till it rots. It takes a crazed woodcutter/burner to go through some of the stuff we do to get free wood.
I've yarded wood from places it can't be done, & it burns better than any other :)
,I know we'll see the pics of it stacked up ready to burn.
You ain't afraid of work ! (you probably enjoy it) We're proud to know you!
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.