Ice & snow chipping the stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Moving/chipping the frozen ice coated wood to a new stack .
Getting mold growing & what else to do on a nice day
when any bare ground is a muddy mess.
would take weeks for the ice to melt so decided t move
the south row & let the sun work on the ice & snow.

Got 1/2 a cord moved, felt good to be out on a sunny day
working on the fire wood.

Mold: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .. . . . . . . .Mtns:
DSCF0876.JPG DSCF0879.JPG

wood, ice & snow:
DSCF0883.JPG DSCF0885.JPG

Mud:
DSCF0881.JPG

At 50 below I guess it would get frozen really good

Your pics never disappoint. Quite the background you have.

Reactions: n3pro
Well hell if you are bored enough to do stuff like that I've got PLENTY actual jobs needing to get done...

Hey, this is real work.
It would take about a month to melt all the ice out of the stacks ;)
Adds 2 more times I handle wood to my normal 14. LOL ;lol

Thanks guys. I like my view too :)

love them Mts.! Good luck getting the wood dry, but with that weather I think you may be in a state of Denali...:)

Reactions: Seanm
Dave, the first time I went back to split the wood was frozen to the ground really solid. Took some heavy hitting to break them loose. Not so now. Yesterday we had a fantastic 68 degrees and it is in the low 50's today. I say Spring is finally here but we have lots of water to contend with yet. Fortunately we live on yellow sand so not much standing water or mud here. No so for some others....

Did some more today.
Got the worst of it busted loose & re-stacked.
I'd better go get a picture, I'll add it in later
Camera's been in my pocket all day. 1 bald eagle but not close.

Spring is close, got mud on my boots today :)

Know how to weld? I have a flatbed I need to make repairs on and then put some sides on it. As well as a trailer that needs a new axle and the frame boxed in. Need to finish the exhaust on my car too... ran out of welding gas a few days ago.

Know how to wire? Need to put in a disconnect swtich for my solar panels.

Paint? Need some cabinets sanded and painted as well as the inside of the chicken coop.

Drywall? Need a hole in the garage wall patched.

Know how to run a chainsaw? I've got orders for about 40 cords and haven't started yet.

HELP !!!

Why am I on here? I have to take a break every hour or two and let my back relax a bit. Not fun getting old... and broken!

Hey, this is real work.
It would take about a month to melt all the ice out of the stacks ;)
Adds 2 more times I handle wood to my normal 14. LOL ;lol

Thanks guys. I like my view too :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Spring is here, worked outside in shirt sleeves today :cool:
Went on a scrounge in winter forgot cant hook , but had a sledge ,some was froze in a ice puddle

The pictures:
Big difference between the wood above the snow/ice line. clean vs moldy:
DSCF0891.JPG

DSCF0896.JPG DSCF0897.JPG

bogy just wanna let u know im going cutting in the morning...it will be about 58 to 60 in the morning...then warming to 78 during the day...its pretty where u are but its warm here..lol

78 is a little to hot for me as well...but the humidity is low.....anyways i shut er down about 11 this morning before it got too hot....didnt take any pics....i just wanted to rub it in the nice weather we are getting....back down in the 30's for a low this weekend

holy crap that is one of the nicest back grounds (the moutnains) ive seen...spectacular!

You're new here... search up some of Dave's old posts. Some amazing photos!

This is the time of year I'm most glad I do not live in Alaska. I love winter, but I also look forward to spring in March. I mowed the lawn for the first time, yesterday.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Lawn? What's that?

2013-04-15_08-18-37_152 (Medium).jpg

We're just starting to see a little bit of green for grass but it will be a while before we see any out mowing around here.

Last year at this time, we had docks in the lake and our kids were wearing shorts and t-shirts. We've got ~35" of ice on the lake still this year. We set lots of records last year.

The joke is that we'll be fishing from an ice house instead of a boat for the May 11th fishing opener this year.

What... no bites? I have plenty of beer in the fridge... :p

Know how to weld? I have a flatbed I need to make repairs on and then put some sides on it. As well as a trailer that needs a new axle and the frame boxed in. Need to finish the exhaust on my car too... ran out of welding gas a few days ago.

Know how to wire? Need to put in a disconnect swtich for my solar panels.

Paint? Need some cabinets sanded and painted as well as the inside of the chicken coop.

Drywall? Need a hole in the garage wall patched.

Know how to run a chainsaw? I've got orders for about 40 cords and haven't started yet.

HELP !!!

Why am I on here? I have to take a break every hour or two and let my back relax a bit. Not fun getting old... and broken!

Reactions: Shane N
That second picture is sick man. now you are just torturing me. Life long dream to go to the northern most state of the union. One day.

That second picture is sick man. now you are just torturing me. Life long dream to go to the northern most state of the union. One day.

Northern, Eastern & Western most state in the union ;)

Reactions: osagebow
Status
Not open for further replies.