Ice Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gary

Oct 29, 2006
St. George, KS
Just coming back from the aftermath of an ice storm. Lost power and water Monday night, Dec. 10th. Got it back Sunday night Dec. 16th. Made it through OK. The Osbourne insert held it's own, keeping the downstairs in upper 60's to low 70's with the rest of the house in mid to upper 50's.

Fortunately, I had a generator I bought 10 years ago hoping that I'd never need it. It ran the insert blower, 2 freezers, a lamp, and in the last couple days a TV.

A one point, I saw Home Depot cutting up warped 2 x 4's and selling them for firewood. Got to give it to the Home Depot guys though. They sold over 12 semi loads of generators during last week and didn't gouge the buyers on the price.

Even with the preparations we had made (and we were better off than many folks), it was still an ordeal.

Glad it's over and Merry Christmas!

Glad you made it through your ordeal Gary. You guys in the midwest got really socked by that storm. Six days is a long time to go without services, but it must make you feel good that you were able to live in relative comfort.
Chris

i know it hards to feel lucky after what just happened. but 3 years ago central ohio got it as worse if not worse then you. we lost power for 13 days..without a genset or wood burner. we have both of those now and if we have one again will be inviting about half the neighborhood over i suspect. the one and only good thing about an ice storm is the mass amount of wood that is now available to you. i just finished off the last of mine last week....

glad you made it through alright....our prayers are out to all of you. merry christmas and be sure to enjoy some extra warmth the next week or two.

another thing to add is my little trick.....i have one 1500 watt work light and another 500 watt...not only do they throw tons of light they literally work as a space heater in situations like this. when we were out for those 13 days, by day 9 had our laundry room with exposed pipes was at 34 degrees. we ran 200 feet of cord from my moved away neighbors genset and with just the 500 watt kept that room and the kitchen from freezing; otherwise it would have been disaster. i would imagine the 1500 would heat a rather large room....

just a thought for anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.