Ice Storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, we are expected to get 1/2-3/4" of ice today. Snowing really hard here at the moment and power outages are being predicted..SO, that means that all us Woodburners are at ease since we will at least have heat and for that matter hot water or the ability to cook!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Well, we are expected to get 1/2-3/4" of ice today. Snowing really hard here at the moment and power outages are being predicted..SO, that means that all us Woodburners are at ease since we will at least have heat and for that matter hot water or the ability to cook!

Supposed to be nasty by me too, right now mix of snow/ice. Not supposed to get as much ice as you guys. Last time we had that much my neighbor and I were outside moving our trailers(my camper, his snowmobile) from underneath big branches, and as we're doing it the transformer 20 feet away from us just burst into flames..... needless to say, thank god we both have wood stoves.

mohawk valley here.

WE are getting hammered now. Snow, sleet, ice, and rain later today. Up to 5 inches.

Hope you guys get less.

Carpniels

PS. Wife is keeping the isle royale humming along. Over half of well seasoned wood left. Life is great.

In northwest CT we have ice in the trees, the birches are hanging down already. I was supposed to go to Woodstock VT today but we turned back after we found out they were having snow and schools were closed. Later I heard lots of accidents on main roads. So, I'm here in the house with a nice warm/toasy fire lit and taking it easy with my wife.
Now that I think of it, I'd rather be here than there..
Hope everyone stayes warm and safe.

WE HAD APPROX 10 INCHES OF WET SNOW IN THE POCONOS YESTERDAY WITH HIGH WINDS AND SOME AREAS HAD POWER LOSS..WE DID NOT BUT OUR QUADRA FIRE 27001 WORKED PERFECTLY AND KEEP OUR HOUSE VERY WARM, HAD TO OPEN THE BEDROOM WINDOW ON THE SECOND FLOOR. REALLY HAPPY WITH THIS UNTIL.

Is it a bit perverse to be glad about this weather because it may mean that my neighbors may be looking to get rid of downed trees? :)

Key might be using the insert without the blower.
I haven't really tried mine yet.
I don't think it would be that great 'cause there's not much surface area.

Ah well, least you all don`t have to factor in the earthquake thing? Balmy 55F today, and oh, about 37 tonite. Snow, what the hell is that at this time of year?? I`m drifting, of course quakes can come at any time --hmmm. And you people are getting worried about a little chill?? Winter has`nt even started to march yet :cheese:

Whoops, I forgot, this is east coast whining.. mostly bout nothing this early.!@!

Did I stirr a little??

ha ha, I don't whine about the winter, I welcome it.
Just tonight driving to a friends house the thermometer showed 29 in the car, I said, it's a beautiful night isn't it honey? My wife looked at me with disgust...

BRING ON THE WINTER BABY!!!!

The storm was indeed powerful... It knocked out power to a lot of folks, even we were without power for a day and a half.
But with the stove and a bit of preperation we hardly noticed the lack of power.

Here are a few pics from the storm. :)

This is at about 8AM
100_2597-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

This is at 11AM when we lost power.
100_2600-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

This is a photo of the car the evening just before the sunset.
100_2607-vi.jpg
Hosted on Fotki

Very prett pics. Send some a little further south, will ya? I'm right along the MD border, but hoping we have a very snowy winter.

Weather in Niagara Area, Ontario Canada is 60 F :D Thinking about taking the bike for a ride today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.