ID a used Napoleon insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Northern Fire

Thanks for the heads up. I was emailed the manual from Napoleon for the 1500.

If I can make the time I may go look at it face to face.

The challenge will be the age of the unit and its construction overall.

I am also a bit concerned with how to manage the Air supply as I am hoping to avoid utilizing an outside air supply. We do have one to our fireplace right now and we can easily modify it to match up to the bottom of the insert.

Our biggest challenge right now is getting into an insert that allows us to keep a large fireview. The units I would like would be the Osburn bay window inserts (1800/2200), the hearthstone inserts, the jotul's and others with a large window.

We didn't do a deal a year ago on a Napoleon 1101 because of the window size. We are going to have to find that balance between spending the money to save on heating but also trying to keep the look of a fireplace.

We likely will not buy this used unit because of the window size. If it was say 400 dollars or less, I might do it as an interim unit for a couple of years while we save on our heating bill. No matter what we do we will need to get a rigid insulated liner in, install a block off plate, etc which would all be reusable into the permanent insert.

The problem with interim fixes is that they usually become permanent.

Sounds like you are going through exactly the process I went through regarding this unit. As you know, window size is also a... concern at my house.

Speaking of large window, I got my quote for the Don-Bar insert. I'm going into salesman mode tonight. Peter from Don-Bar has been great, really knows his stuff.

We are investigating the basement ash-dump blower unit option, and I actually wonder if it would make sense for your second unit and the air supply issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.