ID Honey Locust and relative weight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecanton

Jun 11, 2015
New England
I just split a cord of Honey Locust, I believe, and some Red Oak. The Locust was relatively dry and felt noticeably lighter than the Red Oak. I did not cut the tree down but I assume it was dead or dying and that may be part of the reason it was not as heavy as the Red Oak. Questions: can you confirm it is Honey Locust? 2. The wood is not roted or punky just light. Will it retain its' BTU when burned?

Attachments

• Locust1.jpg
    Locust1.jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Locust2.jpg
    Locust2.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 274
Not sure why but seasoned BL will be much lighter than HL. I burn both species and see no differnce is heat output. Plain excellent!!

Live Honey Locust feels heavier than Oak to me. Black Locust weight isn't even comparable, much lighter.

Not sure why but seasoned BL will be much lighter than HL.
I wouldn't think so, based on the BTUs. I have a dead Hl to get at my neighbor's, so I'll see. Did you meter the Hl to see how dry it was?

Honeylocust and Black locust are not related. They just share a common name.
They share a common name with a locust from Europe but none are related. Well, they are all in the Pea family...but...
As firewood they are kind of different.
You have Black Locust, the wood does kind of feel on the dry side. It contains constituents in its cells that repels water, (in the heartwood) it has an ability to not rot easily. Where Honeylocust is a heavier wood but is lacking these 'elements'.
Its not that one is better than the other, they are just different.

Moisture content of red oak is much greater than HL or BL. Don't worry about their wet weights.

Honeylocust and Black locust are not related. They just share a common name.
They share a common name with a locust from Europe but none are related. Well, they are all in the Pea family...but...
As firewood they are kind of different.
You have Black Locust, the wood does kind of feel on the dry side. It contains constituents in its cells that repels water, (in the heartwood) it has an ability to not rot easily. Where Honeylocust is a heavier wood but is lacking these 'elements'.
Its not that one is better than the other, they are just different.

HL reminds me of Acacia tree from Europe

Thanks for the identification! The locust was about 10-12% lower in moisture compared to the red oak.
You'll be lucky if the red oak is ready in 3 yrs. Locust could be ready next yr.

Reactions: TreePointer
Looks like Black Locust to me. If well seasoned, you will love the BTU's. It is more dense than Red Oak at the same moisture content.

Status
Not open for further replies.