ID - may not even be native.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
My mother sent me a pic of this tree in Missouri and wanted me to tell her what it was. I can't find it in my North America book so my guess is I missed it or it is not native to North America. I am only good on trees on my land. Can someone tell me what it is?
IMG_1350.JPG

Bark looks like white pine. Can't quite make out needles from the pic, but fascicles look like white pine too, although possibly a variety with contorted/ twisted fascicles. Pinus strobus 'Contorta' is such an example.
Count the number of needles per fascicle. White pines: 5 needles per fascicle.

Would be white pine in my area.

Bark does look like white pine. But the needles look longer.

Bark looks like white pine. Can't quite make out needles from the pic, but fascicles look like white pine too, although possibly a variety with contorted/ twisted fascicles. Pinus strobus 'Contorta' is such an example.
Count the number of needles per fascicle. White pines: 5 needles per fascicle.

Thank you. I think you nailed it with the Pinus strobus 'Contorta'.

White pine is not native to Atlanta where I used to live and Greenville is in the same geographic area, Piedmont Plateau near the mountains, so I bet it is not native there either. However it will grow if transplanted.