ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
image.jpg image.jpg
One of the guys that is working for me has a load of wood in back of his truck he cut upstate this weekend. Naturally I go see what he has. He says hard maple, and I do see maple, but I'm thinking red oak for this, maybe I'm wrong as I'm no expert but I think I see the medullary Rays

Reactions: Fred Wright
Neither the bark nor the wood look like any of my hard maple. Closer to red oak, I agree.

That's what I thought. I'm meeting resistance, he says there's no red oak on his property upstate. I said apparently there is... Haha. Thanks for the quick reply

I hope he wasn't trying to get maple syrup from that oak. ;lol;lol

Reactions: barmstrong2
They still won't believe me, so I said we agree to disagree. I'm not arguing with them all day

What about red maple? Do you have any pics of the end grain?

The person who gave you the wood was correct, it is Sugar Maple.

Here's another piece for cross reference.

image.jpeg

Red Oak has a fairly distinct smell. I have split some hard maple that was pretty close to that color all the way through. But I do agree that the grain does resemble oak somewhat. I'd be leaning toward hard/sugar maple from the pic. Hard to tell without more to go on.

It doesn't smell Oaky but I thought maybe since it was standing dead. Either way it's hard wood even though he is gonna burn it this year :eek:

Its Sugar Maple, Im sure of it.
All wood has those 'rays'. Its just some patterns in the pores are very big and easily visible. Like American Chestnut, Black walnut, Butternut, mahogany. ....

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.