ID this splitting maul.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Hearth Supporter
Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
All metal, 8 lb beast. I've had it for 5 or so years. Works pretty good but my hands always ache after 30 minutes of splitting, possibly b/c there is no type of cushioning where I grip it.

Anybody use this?

Any suggestions for a better tool are appreciated.

Attachments

• Maul-1.jpg
    Maul-1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 329
Yes, it's a beast! The metal handle would probably destroy me. I know a lot of people like wood handles too, but even those are kind of hard on me for some reason. I prefer the plastic/fiberglass core, which is a little more flexible. Also, 8# is too heavy for me, I can't swing it fast enough. I'm kind of a wuss though, because I know stronger guys that swing an 8# like it was nothin'.

I have a 8lb w/ fiberglass handle and another w/ wood handle. I prefer the fiberglass handle because the impact doesn't travel up the handle as much. Dad had one of those evil metal handle mauls and it was murder! I'm not sure how big that one was but I'd be willing to bet it was atleast 10lb.

leftyscott said:
All metal, 8 lb beast. I've had it for 5 or so years. Works pretty good but my hands always ache after 30 minutes of splitting, possibly b/c there is no type of cushioning where I grip it.

Anybody use this?

Might well be a "Ho-made Redneck Special" done up by someone w/ a busted handle maul, a hunk of pipe and a welder... Can't be that much worse than the 12lb Monster Maul clone that I used to swing before I went hydraulic... It might be a bit easier to use if you wear some gloves, especially ones with the gel palm inserts... Also you can get neoprene type foam covers for many sizes of tool handles which might at least make your lower hand more comfortable...

Gooserider

leftyscott said:

Fiskars Super Splitting axe. This will split just as good or better than your 8 pounder, but will fatigue you less and give you much better precision. My hands never hurt from the impact, either. It's got some kind of "rigid" fiberglass handle, but it seems to completely absorb any shock.

The only thing you need to worry about with this tool is people on this site yelling at you about cutting your shins off. I use this both out in the woods on the ground and up on a splitting block. it works fine both places;you just need to widen your stance a bit if you're a taller body type.

http://www.google.com/products?q=fiskars+super+splitting&oe=utf-8&hl=en&scoring=p

Status
Not open for further replies.