ID This Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Oak and Red Oak are very similar, and very closely related. Pin Oak does usually have a darker heartwood, so I'm going with Pin Oak.

Don't think Pin from the Pin I have worked. Pins around me are loaded with small, mostly dead branches. You would be hard pressed to find 4 running feet of log that did not have a dead branch. Pics show clean logs. Red.

Excellent description of pin oak!

mywaynow said:
Don't think Pin from the Pin I have worked. Pins around me are loaded with small, mostly dead branches. You would be hard pressed to find 4 running feet of log that did not have a dead branch. Pics show clean logs. Red.
Yah, but I don't think you can see enough log length to determine that. Just my opinion and I have cut a lot of pin and red oak.

Another helper on northern red vs. pin oak:

Around here, if it's in a forest, it's a northern red oak. If it's on the perimiter of a wooded area, it could be either. If it's in an urban/suburban area, along a road, or around a school/business, it's probably a pin oak.

OP stated that there were leaves on the ground--that should help. Acorns should help, too, but the critters have eaten the easily visible ones by this time of year.

TreePointer said:
Another helper on northern red vs. pin oak:

Around here, if it's in a forest, it's a northern red oak. If it's on the perimiter of a wooded area, it could be either. If it's in an urban/suburban area, along a road, or around a school/business, it's probably a pin oak.

OP stated that there were leaves on the ground--that should help. Acorns should help, too, but the critters have eaten the easily visible ones by this time of year.
Pin Oak also likes wet areas.

tfdchief said:
mywaynow said:
Yah, but I don't think you can see enough log length to determine that. Just my opinion and I have cut a lot of pin and red oak.

I would look again. There are many logs, maybe 12 or so. I see about 3 limbs total. One 16 inch log is likely to have 2 or 3 dead limbs on a pin oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.