Ideas on log cutting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmainer

Aug 19, 2009
southern maine
Hi Folks...my son and I have about fifteen cords of wood in log length that needs to be cut up to stove length. We would like some ideas on how to get the logs off the ground to a heigth where it will be easier on our backs. We have a Mahindra 4110 with forks that we could use if needed. Franklin

Oldmainer said:
Hi Folks...my son and I have about fifteen cords of wood in log length that needs to be cut up to stove length. We would like some ideas on how to get the logs off the ground to a heigth where it will be easier on our backs. We have a Mahindra 4110 with forks that we could use if needed. Franklin

Are these piled up or spread about? I have to fell and brush out and drag to high ground as fast as I can when I start cutting down do to the threat of rain and my cutting area is swamp land . After I have what I think is enough out this is what I do to cut it up . I have an area that is pretty much clear of any rock or foreign material , just mostly old saw dust chips and bark . I hook on to the first log and drag it to the area and get it bucked up me on one end and a buddy on the other . Then I go get another with the tractor drag it by three point and chain to the bucking pile and use the loader to push it on top of the already cut blocks . The bucking is so fast that I dont even shut down the tractor . I also do about 14 cord a year . with doing it this way I can usually buck the 14 cord in 2 days of cutting . I am thinking even if it is piled up you might be able to pull the logs out with the tractor and just use your forks to place the logs on a bucking pile . Its nice doing it this way then all your rounds are all on one pile for splitting when you finish bucking plus you don't have to keep moving them rounds to keep bucking .

I have always tried to cut down on my handling and this is the fastest way I have come up with . It also helps on the back a bit as you dont have to keep bending down and handling all the rounds . The first time I really handle rounds is when I split and from there it goes to the trailer , from the trailer to the pile.

Oldmainer said:

Franklin, why not just put down 2 logs (or 3), maybe 6' apart (depending on your log length) then stack the rest of the logs on those 2. You could have more than one pile if necessary. But if those bottom logs are, say 24", that would have you cutting 2' off the ground which is a great height to be cutting.

Backwoods Savage said:
Oldmainer said:

Franklin, why not just put down 2 logs (or 3), maybe 6' apart (depending on your log length) then stack the rest of the logs on those 2. You could have more than one pile if necessary. But if those bottom logs are, say 24", that would have you cutting 2' off the ground which is a great height to be cutting.

+1 doesn't take much clearance....

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Oldmainer said:

+1 doesn't take much clearance....

+2 For the smaller stuff you can lift by hand you could build a saw buck. Also with the big logs you can play with the spacing to provide support in the right places to make it as easy as possible to cut to the length you need.

Oldmainer said:
You said it all when you said you had forks. Just pick up a log, take it to where you want the rounds and cut them off. Than go get another one. You can put the log at the height it is easy to cut, even over your trailer if you have to haul so you won't even have to pick it up.
leaddog

When you make your choice, post a picture, please!
:)

th_during.jpg

When I get my wood delivered (12 cord here), they put down 2 or 3 logs first, then all the rest 90 degrees off of these bottom logs.
I just cut it and throw it away from my work area, then split and stack it after.
Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.