Idiots with chainsaws - Edge of Alaska TV show

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Begin Rant-

I know these shows are fake and scripted but it still winds me up when I see morons who should know better using chainsaws with no regard for safety. The most recent episode is purported to have occurred after a wind storm. Its was an obvious "filler" of morons with no safety gear doing really stupid stuff including one moron balancing on a horizontal trunk several feet off the ground. The guy is standing on the log cutting one end off with the saw one handed for the final cut. The trunk springs up and he slips off with running saw complete with extra long bar. He and his buddy have good laugh. Other characters are cutting blowdowns from the top down so that the saw is almost guaranteed gets jammed.

End rant

YouTube is a good source for these types of videos, watching them really opens my eyes to the hazards involved even when I think I would never use a saw that way.

Reactions: Beldin
I "saw" the show too. Too moronic to be totally scripted...I think there truly was a fair amount "morons with chain saws" depicting their normal days and ways.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Definitely candidates for Darwin Awards.

People dont realize that at least some of the people on the show are actually paid for their appearances plus they usually have a PR firm and have secondary revenue. I think the more screen time they get they more pay they get so it encourages them to do stupid stuff.

I didn't see the show, but what's wrong with cutting blowdowns from the top down? That's my typical MO.

The blowdown's were near horizontal, every cut is specific, but the crowns were on the ground so the top of the log appeared to be under compression. So as he cut down from the top the two halves of the logs started heading downward pinching the bar. Its fine to start the cut on top but the finish cut should have been from the bottom so the cut opens up as he saws through.

I use synthetic wedges for horizontal blowdowns. Thw wedge prevents a pinch for those under compression. The odd thing is the wedge seems to work its way down into the round and cause the cut to separate. There are two major benefits to this, no more pinching the bar, and 2, I rarely hit the leaves and the soil below.

I got good information from YouTube to cut a 19 inch dia × 80+ feet widow maker that was hung in about 45 degrees. (Edit- even some of the moronic videos are helpful in stressing that no shortcuts should be taken) The video specifically said it was not for training purposes.