Re: Scrounging . . . and blending in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
In early November Maine (along with some of the rest of northern New England) got hit by a big snowstorm that caused a lot of branches and trees to come down.

Afterwards while driving around at work I noticed a number of trees in the parks in the city had large branches that had come down from the storm, so I called up the Parks and Rec Director and asked if I could help the Parks and myself by cutting up the larger branches for firewood and hauling the branches to the street to be picked up. He agreed.

So last week I went to a park on Main Street and started cutting . . . this is right next to the Homeless Shelter and across the street from the police station. I thought for sure folks would start reporting me or asking questions about a guy with a chainsaw on Main Street so I did something that I thought I would never do . . . I bought camouflage . . . specifically safety orange chainsaw chaps and then borrowed a bright orange hard hat from work.

I've been meaning to get some chaps for awhile now . . . guy at work had an "incident" and a good friend of mine tore into his jeans last summer. I've always been pretty safe and have been working around chainsaws since I was a teen . . . but as the FD's Safety Guy I figure it only makes sense to use commonsense practices and safety gear when possible . . . buying this camouflage was just the ticket to push me over the edge and pony up the money.

In any case . . . it worked. Saw a police officer drive by and he never gave me a second glance as I was loading up my truck. Had one homeless guy stop to offer to help for money . . . I declined. Had another fella stop to ask if I was with the City . . . thought about that one for a bit and then said "Why yes I am!" since while I think he was thinking "Public Works" I figure technically I am with the City . . . in the Fire Department. He then went on to describe an electrical or phone line that was down . . . to which I told him I was going to be off duty soon and he should contact Public Works to report the problem.

In any case, ended up with a little less than a cord of wood before the snow hit . . .

A polished act, Jake. Nice job 'blending in'. Also nice score.

You should talk to your tree guys and have them drop you off a load once in a while. Our tree guys do it all the time. That's how I get a lot of wood.

You should talk to your tree guys and have them drop you off a load once in a while. Our tree guys do it all the time. That's how I get a lot of wood.

Not likely here ... 1) I live in the country away from most tree service companies, 2) In the city where I work the tree services can dump their wood free of charge and 3) Many of the tree services are either burning the wood themselves or selling it since so many folks up this way burn wood.

As with most situations it is easier to hide things in plain sight. If you look and act like you belong - no one ever questions it.

Nice score and a TOTAL surprise that you do not already have all the PPE as a firefighter and as home fire safety conscious as you are. Those chaps were a DBL good investment.

Holy cow Prezes , you are a lucky guy . I called a few tree companies and they all said no. O well , I'll keep looking.

Not likely here ... 1) I live in the country away from most tree service companies, 2) In the city where I work the tree services can dump their wood free of charge and 3) Many of the tree services are either burning the wood themselves or selling it since so many folks up this way burn wood.
I was referring to a city crew. Our park and rec dept. Has a tree crew. A lot of time they need our pipe truck and very often I go ran it for them so I always ask them to drop some wood at water dept. For the guys.

Holy cow Prezes , you are a lucky guy . I called a few tree companies and they all said no. O well , I'll keep looking.
Keep asking. I just had three oaks dropped in my yard so I am kind of good for three years now. But I told them that beginning spring time if he is looking for a place to drop wood keep me in mind and he said no problem since a lot of time he is looking for places to get rid of wood. Nice thing is he has a dumper trailer so all the wood is already cut to fire wood length.

Status
Not open for further replies.