If anybody offers me any more free wood Im gonna have to get more property

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nshif

Hearth Supporter
Spent the better part of the weekend getting this done. I just dont have the time. But i cant pass up free wood. Even though Ive got 10 cords and probably only burn 5 a year.

Attachments

• IMG_0109_1_2_1.JPG
    IMG_0109_1_2_1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 505
Yep...me too. I'm splitting stuff that will be burned 2 years from now or maybe even 3. Stuff I gathered for tonights fire had some termite tunnels on it but it's solid and dry as a bone. stove is just cranking out the heat. eventually you will reach a very enviable position of having enough wood that you can just not even put up wood almost all year and you know you have plenty and are ahead of the game.

The worst part is as you can see from the pic the house is still under construction and I probably wont even have a stove in there for a month!But at least I know I have wood when i get there.

I want free wood! In fact, was able to harvest 1 1/2 cords of oak today. Very little is ready to burn, but it was a great afternoon of solid elbow grease. Good for the soul. My problem is I don't have any vehicles that can transport the stuff I locate.

drhiii said:
I want free wood! In fact, was able to harvest 1 1/2 cords of oak today. Very little is ready to burn, but it was a great afternoon of solid elbow grease. Good for the soul. My problem is I don't have any vehicles that can transport the stuff I locate.
drhiii how about a UHaul rental for $20 a day, not much to pay for a cord of wood.

nshif said:
drhiii said:
drhiii how about a UHaul rental for $20 a day, not much to pay for a cord of wood.
That beats paying 200$+ for cord wood delivered.

Yessir, that is my next option.

Today went out and harvested some oak. A tree service I talked to said sure, take it. About 1 1/2 cords. Dang, that stuff is heavy. Well, get home, grab some logs that appeared to be far enough along to burn (some of this needs to cure for a few months still, so ready for next season likely), cut some down and threw them into my stove. Wow. It about blew us out of the joint. A combination of fir and oak. I want more, and more, and more. I'd been burning some really crummy cottonwood only because it is plentiful. Well, it is crummy. Way more trouble than it is worth. So two logs, one oak and one fir, and out 1600 house toasted up like I have never felt before. We have a new stove (Napoleon 1400) and this is the first time it has produced. It is 15 degrees out, and I have not experienced anything like this before... man, am I happy. My wife loves it. She felt the difference within an hour. I want MORE FREE WOOD.

nshif said:
drhiii said:

NEVER EVER SAY NO...

Most people will offer wood, and when you say no, they won't ask again- I just split up all I get, and I gave a bunch to an old guy aroung the corner that mentioned he had a fireplace, but no wood and was too old to split it..sort of a "pay it forward" kind of thing.

A new t-shirt campain...Just say YES to nice hard wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.