If only it split when it falls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Perfect spot.
e0cb76b829e183ec151b77018ae852ec.jpg45458ced2ead4d7759acde1574f3ea76.jpg

Very nice...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Doh!. Good stacking. It looks like they stood up to the blow.

If they were all that easy.
Neighbor's red oak did that about 10 years ago - 1/3 crown split out right in cutting/ splitting area (~1 cord). It just missed all the landscaping.

Had a much larger walnut do that to me in hurricane Sandy. Landed right across my piles, which was actually less convenient than one might imagine.

Reactions: Sawset
I was going to say that area looks really snakey. Be careful in there lol

Was it a very valuable black, walnut tree?
A perennial favorite cartoon. This one was actually 60-80 feet of pin-straight trunk, about 20”-24” diameter, so it would’ve made a nice lumber (or even veneer) tree. But it still became firewood.

Mills around here generally won’t touch yard trees. And with only five walnuts on the ground in my yard after that massive storm, they had bigger fish to fry, than my little catch.

I had one fall right on top of my stacks once too, was kind of a pain to get it off to cut it up but I appreciate mother nature trying.

Reactions: Ashful