If you hear a chipper in the neighborhood.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boostnut

Nov 2, 2007
central IL
Get in your truck and let your ears guide you to the free wood. Got lucky, real lucky with this score. A half cord of cut to length (mostly, I had to cut 2 or 3 pieces) locust less than a quarter mile from my driveway. Trunk should come down tomorrow. Looks to be about 2' in diameter and somewhere around 15' long. Yep, I'll be there to pick it up even though my racks are full. Feels good being 2+ years ahead.

Attachments

• locust load1.jpg
    locust load1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 526
  • locust1.jpg
    locust1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 554
Nice score...locust rocks.

The sound of chainsaws or chippers in the distance gives me fits. I'll drive around in circles, only to discover laurel hedges being removed. But I scored a cord of cherry that way last year. Good work, man!

its ashame...........
we have serious problems
i WAS embarrassed to admit to that before but when i hear chaisaws, chippers in my vicinity... i stop whatever i am doing, my head goes up in the air then i go on the hunt ........... sometimes i end up just driving by checking out the local "competition".... other times i land a small score.........
but yes i have a problem.... i really do.....
might have to change my tag

I don't know the laws in your states but here in Maine the wood belongs to the owner of the property where the trees are being trimmed (assuming you're talking about power line clearing). You might want to know if the owner possessed any firearms before you started loading your pickup. Around here the chances are not in your favor.

However, a lot of the property around here is owned by out-of-state folks or is undeveloped land with no property owner present. Next time they come up for the weekend they are usually not aware that there ever was any firewood laying around.

I must admit to a certain amount of "fair use" firewood collecting, myself. Even rounded up a nearly full log truck of sawlogs from a power line extension that went through near a friend of mine. Nice crew doing the work left the good stuff in log length for me. We dragged it over to his yard with my pickup and had a friend with a log truck pick it up and bring it over to my sawmill before the weekend was over. I'm living in some of that wood right now. All those lots along that road were owned by out-of-staters. That sort of piracy was acceptable back in those good ol' days.

Dave, no theft or potential for problems with this score. The homeowner was paying the tree hacks to haul ALL of the tree away. I look at it as doing the tree hack a favor, so did he. He even had one of his groundies helping me load on the first trip.

Please don't take offense to my above reference to the "tree hack" if you're in the business. These guys earned the name, I don't often refer to a tree service as a hack but have no other way to describe Larry, Darrel, and Darrels work on this job.

Just this morning, Jun 29, I saw a yellow cherry picker extended way up over the roof line of these houses. I drove over there and there was a chipper attached to the truck. Then the next split second after, I saw the tree they were taking down. It was a 80' dead something all skeleton of a tree. They were taking it down because of its sidewalk location(house, powerlines etc etc. were very nearby)

DaveBP said:
I don't know the laws in your states but here in Maine the wood belongs to the owner of the property where the trees are being trimmed (assuming you're talking about power line clearing). You might want to know if the owner possessed any firearms before you started loading your pickup. Around here the chances are not in your favor.

However, a lot of the property around here is owned by out-of-state folks or is undeveloped land with no property owner present. Next time they come up for the weekend they are usually not aware that there ever was any firewood laying around.

I must admit to a certain amount of "fair use" firewood collecting, myself. Even rounded up a nearly full log truck of sawlogs from a power line extension that went through near a friend of mine. Nice crew doing the work left the good stuff in log length for me. We dragged it over to his yard with my pickup and had a friend with a log truck pick it up and bring it over to my sawmill before the weekend was over. I'm living in some of that wood right now. All those lots along that road were owned by out-of-staters. That sort of piracy was acceptable back in those good ol' days.

Always ask permission.

I have done quite well the last few years by following the sounds of chainsaws and chippers. I score over 3 cord of sugar maple less than 1/4 mile from my house this way. I always ask permission and can't remember the last time someone actually said no. Almost everyone is happy to have the tree gone and that they are helping me keep my family warm in the winter.

I always imagined myself saying.. "So... uhh.. You gonna burn that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.